Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXD Speedo in FXDB Console?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default FXD Speedo in FXDB Console?

As I am aware, the Street Bob console takes a 4 inch speedometer--the same size as the stock speedo on my FXD. Is that correct? Or, does it take a spacer ring to mount?

Also, the trip reset button is on the backside of the FXD speedo housing. Does the reset button come off to mount on the side of the console? What is the work around? Or, can they be made to work together?

My concept is to get a V-Twin Mfg FXDWG EFI replacement fuel tank (VT P/N 38-0545), get a FXDB console (HD P/N 61705-06) and mounting trim (HD P/N 67185-04) from Zanotti and mount my original speedo and idiot lights. Does anyone know if that'll work?

Appreciate you input and observations.

R/
Priest

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the 06 parts manual, the FXDI and the FXDB use different speedo part numbers. I do not know what the difference is or if they are interchangeable.

The reset buttons (switches) are separate components from the actual speedo unit. You should be good in that aspect.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 AM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Priest

My concept is to get a V-Twin Mfg FXDWG EFI replacement fuel tank (VT P/N 38-0545), get a FXDB console (HD P/N 61705-06) and mounting trim (HD P/N 67185-04) from Zanotti and mount my original speedo and idiot lights. Does anyone know if that'll work?

Priest -
This will not work. The FXDWG and FXDB tanks are not the same, they do not have the same contour and the console will not sit flat and may also be a bit short. I plan on putting a WG tank on my SG. I purchased a FXDSE2 console, which has the same dimensions as the FXDB console (FXDSE2 and FXDB have the same tank). I knew the console would not screw to the FXDWG tank plate, but was willing to try modifying the mounting if the contour was correct - it's not.
Sold the console. Problem is - FXDWG consoles do not show up on ebay very often. Even though I got a reasonable deal on the new tank, I'm reconsidering the entire job as the cost of parts is going to be around $400 with mostly used parts (speedo, idiots, console, gaskets, fuel gauge,ignition switch, etc), and that's with a used speedo with the wrong mileage ... closer to $600 with a new speedo.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like posted above your plan wont work but you can change it a little to work.

Your speedo will mount in either the FXDL or FXDB console. They both use the same tank so this would still give you the result you want, you just need a Low rider or Street Bob tank instead of a Wide Glide tank.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Like posted above your plan wont work but you can change it a little to work.

Your speedo will mount in either the FXDL or FXDB console. They both use the same tank so this would still give you the result you want, you just need a Low rider or Street Bob tank instead of a Wide Glide tank.
+1

The reset button can be moved. It's got a little slack in the wires inside the bottom of the speedo housing, only held in there buy the rubber button cover.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Hmmmm ... thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure whether the Wide Glide tank would be compatible with the Street Bob console--really appreciate you fellas setting me straight.

Okay, I could try a mod like Mudpuddle did with his console, by cutting the strip that extends down the length of the tank and re-shaping the shortened end. Or, is the contour that doesn't fit in the front section of the console/tank?

I've seen a few Street Bob tanks on fleabay, but most of them are jacked up (dented, and in poor condition).

Can someone give me the part number for the FXDB tank? Maybe I could get it through Zanotti or Chicago HD without paying through the nose for it?

Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket source for the FXDB tank? I've checked Custom Chrome catalog and V-Twin ....

I've thought about the FXDL console, but I don't have a tachometer and there's no place for the idiot lights on the console (if I'm not mistaken, there's a mount on the handlebar clamp for the lights??).

I'm trying to do the whole swap out for $350-$400 (less painting cost) which would've been feasible if the tank ($274.87 plus shipping) and console ($65 + shipping) / trim ($6.72) would've worked together ... D@mn! As Glide05 said, the whole FXDWG console setup can get pretty pricey.

Back to the drawing board .... Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for the input!!

R/
Priest

Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a street bob tank on ebay. You just have to be patient got it for 230.00 vivid black

Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Ya your right the Low rider console has no spot for the dummie lights but several have drilled spots for LED in it.

New tanks are not cheap but can get a primed one for around $600. Painted run more and depend on the color on how much more. Vivid black is only about $70 more.

Primed tank number 61593-04a

Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Interesting the tank is -04A; extension usually denotes year the part was introduced or last modified. I guess it's the same part as the FXDLI .... D@mn pricey--even at Zanotti, $592.74.

Does anyone have experience with 'rehabing' a dicked up tank? Do you pull dents the same as with a body panel of a car?

I'm almost thinking the FXDWG route might be as economical ... if the cost of the tank is half the cost of a new FXDB tank.

I am under the impression that the console for FXDWG is the same as for Softails.

If I were to try to re-use my FXDI speedo I think there's a trim ring I could use (reducing the diameter of the speedo mounting hole in the console to the OD of the speedo). Therefore, I'd only need the console housing and I could even relocate my switch to the dash (which I would like).

Thanks for the info

R/
Priest

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

The -04 is for when the part was introduced and the (A) means it has been modified since 04 but will still work for 04 to present.

Not sure on making the speedo work in a 5 inch console but anything can be made to work I guess.

Quick Reply: FXD Speedo in FXDB Console?