Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

california riders.. question

Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default california riders.. question

did you pull off your catalytic canister on the front of your dyna? what happened what does it do?
freebyrd

Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesnt do diddly squat in my opinion! Its just extra weight i just havent taken it off yet...

Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 PM
stagolee
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... I'm thinking about letting mine er, um... "fall off".

Any hints on how to accidentally make that happen?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer

Mine fell off.

Bike runs faster - less weight, less drag ;-)

Looks way better.

If you want to remove the bracket, be sure to support the engine with a jack (the bracket is held on using the front isolator bolts)

Or you could leave it in tack, and cover it with the front spoiler thingy that comes with FXDFSE

Last edited by rhinoWErX; 09-17-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by freebyrd
did you pull off your catalytic canister on the front of your dyna? what happened what does it do?
freebyrd
I think the canister is there to catch fuel vapors. Nothing happens if you remove it.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
new_mentor70
Tourer

Originally Posted by sickwithit
I think the canister is there to catch fuel vapors. Nothing happens if you remove it.
The envrio-***** would strongly disagree!

you will smell some unburned hydro-carbons on occation.

no perfomance loss though!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by new_mentor70
The envrio-***** would strongly disagree!

you will smell some unburned hydro-carbons on occation.

no perfomance loss though!
Yea, I did notice the smell of gas when I park my bike in the garage on a hot day after I removed it.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM
jwlehman
Road Master

My main question about removing it would be - what is the best way to cut/remove the lines leading to it? Should they just be cut up close enough to the tank where you could hide the ends and should the cut ends be plugged?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jwlehman
My main question about removing it would be - what is the best way to cut/remove the lines leading to it? Should they just be cut up close enough to the tank where you could hide the ends and should the cut ends be plugged?
I lifted my tank so I could get to the clips that hold the line in place. I then cut the clip and removed the line that plugs in to the throttle body. I used a vaccum plug to plug up the fitting on the throttle body. The line to the tank I just pull it out. But I guess you can cut them close so you can hide them. I wish I would have thought of that.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

ORIGINAL: WS6 Formula

Removing the vapor canister: The single hose on the right side of the bike from the vapor canister goes up under the tank and doesn't connect to anything it is just a breather hose you can just pull it out.

On the left side of the bike you have two hose's coming off of the canister. The canister is labeled carb / tank, disconnect the tank hose and follow it up the frame to a little vapor valve, remove hose from the bottom of this little vapor valve and remove the hose. This is now your 49 state tank vent, you can also get the 49 state vent hose that connects to the vapor valve and runs up under the tank, it is in the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) item 13 on page 90 p/n 27296-04 and a retaining clip item 7 p/n 10113.

Disconnect the carb hose from the vapor canister, this line goes up the frame and under the tank to a connection behind the top left side of the air cleaner, it connects to the intake manifold, disconnect and put a cap on the port of the intake. (In the Harley parts catalog (99439-06A) on page 20 they list a cap plug item 21 p/n 90383-98 that might be the one to use.) This hose is difficult to remove, I took off the rubber hose from the plastic tube by the intake and pulled the hose out from the front of the tank and broke off a clip that supports a harness that comes out of the bottom of the tank, but I was able to ty-wrap that harness to another harness under the tank near the frame. If you cut the plastic tube end off that has the ridge, it will not hang up on anything and it will just slide out.

The vapor canister bracket has a clip that you depress and then the canister can slide off the bracket. Loosen the two allen head bolts that hold the bracket on to the frame, remove top bolt then rotate bracket and put the bolt back in and tighten it down, then remove lower bolt and bracket, reinstall lower bolt and tighten it down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: california riders.. question