Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pinging Sound

I have a pinging sound coming from the top of the motor when under hard acceleration. I did some searching on it and everything I came up with said was probally from running to lean.

Anything else that could be causing this or is it from being lean?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

What kind of fuel are you running?

Too low of an octane, can cause pinging. If your already running premium, maybe try changing brands to a top tier brand for a tank or two and see what it does.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are running too lean and the sound you hear will eventually destroy the pistons and possibly more. A good fuel management system like the Power Commander III will solve your problem and might even add some more pep to your bike.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:46 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Or just ease into the throttle and not crank it so hard from low R's
The IUD's work pretty good at controlling the ping, as long as you dont twist to WOT. Then you need more help.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pinging (also called pinking) is caused when the fuel and air mixture is ignited at the wrong time.

+1 on the cause being fuel with an octane rating that's too low. That will cause it to pre-ignite. Gas has a shelf life and will deteriorate with age. Try filling the tank with fresh higher octane fuel. That will very often cure the problem, particularly if the gas is more than a couple of months old.

You could also try a new set of spark plugs. Faulty or badly gapped plugs are another common cause.

You may have a problem with the ignition timing. A blocked injector or leaking manifold can sometimes cause it but you'd probably notice a drop in performance.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok thanks guys

I only run 92 or 93 octance depending on where I buy it and which they carry. It does not matter where I buy fuel it does it and its not old fuel on my end. I ride almost every day but I guess the fuel maybe old at some of the stations since gas prices are so high, I bet alot of people probally are not buying the high dollar stuff.

It doesnt do it alot, since I dont really get on it hard except when I need to, but it maybe time for a PC lll and SE intake.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
Pinging (also called pinking) is caused when the fuel and air mixture is ignited at the wrong time.

+1 on the cause being fuel with an octane rating that's too low. That will cause it to pre-ignite. Gas has a shelf life and will deteriorate with age. Try filling the tank with fresh higher octane fuel. That will very often cure the problem, particularly if the gas is more than a couple of months old.

You could also try a new set of spark plugs. Faulty or badly gapped plugs are another common cause.

You may have a problem with the ignition timing. A blocked injector or leaking manifold can sometimes cause it but you'd probably notice a drop in performance.

that is a GREAT answer!!!