Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: This is what I would do:
I would buy the Thundermax-in the long run it's worth it.
85.71%
I would buy a less expensive tuner because....
10.71%
I would leave the bike stock, it isn't worth the money.
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Thundermax - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:06 PM
mywideglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax - is it worth it?

I am now starting to think about pipes, air cleaner and tuner. I am finding in the Balt. Md area, the Thundermax is going for $900. WOW!

1.) Slip Ons- about $270
2.) Stage 1- about $150
3.) Thundermax- about $ 900
4.) Installation- God Only knows- I bet it's between $400 to $500.

I am told, not only will I hear the difference but I will feel the difference in performance.

What I want to know: Is the Thundermax worth the extra money? Why or why not.

Even if I go with the HD tuner to save money, is it worth it.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Koppster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mywideglide
I am now starting to think about pipes, air cleaner and tuner. I am finding in the Balt. Md area, the Thundermax is going for $900. WOW!

1.) Slip Ons- about $270
2.) Stage 1- about $150
3.) Thundermax- about $ 900
4.) Installation- God Only knows- I bet it's between $400 to $500.

I am told, not only will I hear the difference but I will feel the difference in performance.

What I want to know: Is the Thundermax worth the extra money? Why or why not.

Even if I go with the HD tuner to save money, is it worth it.
Got mine for about $700 less than a year ago. Installation was free, took me less than 2 hours.

Selecting the best map for a starting point took three tries and a couple of trips to the ECM forum for expert opinion.

I love the simplicity of Thundermax. It works for me. I got it because I wanted something that would allow me to tune my own bike if I decided to install more performance mods. I didn't want to take my bike to someone for a dyno. Mind you, this is what Rick likes, others have different perspectives and they are equally right.

Rick

Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If all you're doing is slip-ons, I don't know if I'd pay that much....but that's me.

I'm planning on replacing the pipes and A/C...so I'm seriously considering TMax...if you think you might swap out the headers and go with a new pipe setup later on, could be worth it as well. I think it's cheaper to get what you want the first time.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rockon
If all you're doing is slip-ons, I don't know if I'd pay that much....but that's me.

I'm planning on replacing the pipes and A/C...so I'm seriously considering TMax...if you think you might swap out the headers and go with a new pipe setup later on, could be worth it as well. I think it's cheaper to get what you want the first time.
Wise words. If you can swing it spend the money now. I can't tell you how much crap I've redone. It would have been better to spend the bigger money the first time

Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
fxdb84
3rd Gear

I installed the T-max, samson street sweepers and a Ness big sucker back at the end of July and I've definitely noticed a difference. You can adjust the base maps to your setup. I had to tinker with mine for alittle while because I loaded a power map and didn't know it. Throttle response was awesome but my mileage sucked so I found a map that was in the middle of power and economy. My mileage is back up close to stock.

I paid $750 for it from Eastern Performance on E-bay. They had a "best offer" function they accepted that price. Install is easy if you're mechanically minded. On my Street Bob you had to grind some of the plastic out to make room for the auto tuner in the ecm bracket. Other than that it was easy as pie changing the O2 sensors out and getting it set up. Takes some getting used to and having a lap top helps alot or knowing someone that does. I plan on doing work to the heads and cam on down the road and I've had some bad experiences with the local dealer so I don't want to give them any more money than I have to. If you plan on making some performance mods and you dont want to go back to the dealer each time then look at the tmax or another auto tune type EFI. If its too much right now wait and save. Took me over a year and half to find the right price and right pipes for everything. Just my .02
Good luck with it.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

You can now get it for $699 at Eastern Performance, just call them. I got mine from shooter64 and it was $687 shipped. It's nice when you can call where you bought it and get help, just like I needed last Saturday from Bart and Charles. Zipper has excellent customer service and you can call them with any issue.
I'm no mechanic but the installation was pretty straightforward except for modifying the electrical bracket and that was not a big deal. It seems like I started with the right map, thanks to Charles for that.
Sold my Fuelpak and XIEDs which helped pay for it, but if I had known what a huge difference it would make, I would've saved up until I could get the T-Max.
I have VH slipons and AN Big Sucker and am real happy (understatement) with how it runs, and basically I'm ready for any future mods without the need or cost of further fuel management.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

bump.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to get the most out of you upgrades the tuner is very important. Whether the t-max and doing it yourself is better than a SERT and someone who know how to really tune your bike(reputable performance shop... not the stealer)....probably not.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Thunder Max

A local dealer only charged me $75.00 to install a Thunder max tuner. They did however charge me $300.00 for the dyno time and tune. If you are willing to tinker with the maps yourself, must use a laptop or move your desktop to the garage, you can tune it yourself. It will pay for itself in the long run by not have to dyno the bike each time you add a new performance part. Pay me now or pay me later.

Last edited by dyna rider; 11-14-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought mine last year it was a bit overkill for breather and pipes. Well, now looking to build new engine. All of a sudden it's going to be part of the package and worth what I spent on it. You just never know what you will be doing with the engine, whether planned, or in my case forced to do it.
Ron

Quick Reply: Thundermax - is it worth it?