Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you attach tank badges evenly on both sides?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do you attach tank badges evenly on both sides?

Hi All,

I am about to install new fuel tank badges on my Street Bob.
I've removed the original and about to install badges off 2007 model NT.
Anyway, the difficulty is getting badges positioned evenly on both sides of the tank.
Is there a trick I can use to ensure that both badges are located at the same spot on both sides of the tank?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Vlad

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

uhhhhhhh tape measure

Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vlad, when I do them, I install one side based on whatever reference you are using (pics of another tank, instructions, etc...). Then take some masking tape to hold the other side while positioning. I then use a longer piece of masking tape or a seamstress tape measure (it a flexible tape measure) to measure, measure, and measure. Now just use some masking tape to tape a few key locations around the logo. Now just take the logo, remove the backing tape, then align it to the tape marks you just did to install it. Remember, you cant see both sides at once, and if you see them from the top, they will be a little different, because both sides of the logo aren't exactly the same.

Confused yet? Hope this helps.

Benji

Old 10-02-2008, 08:08 AM
cstolp
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Position your first emblem where you want it. Then take a piece of paper (has to be large enough) and fold it in half. No position the fold down the center of the top of the tank and tape it down. Now stencil over the badge you placed on the one side. Now remove the paper, fold it in half again, trace what you stenciled on the one side to the other. Now place the paper back on the center of the tank, tape it down, and you will have the position for your other badge.

Also you will need to mark the tank somewhere along the center so that when you remove and reposition the paper you have a point of reference so that it is back in the same place again. A piece of tape should do the trick then just make a pencil line crossing your fold where it should line up with the tape.

You follow me?

Last edited by cstolp; 10-02-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:11 AM
lickmstickmman
Tourer

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
uhhhhhhh tape measure
Regular tape measures wont make the curve... look at using something like the ones used to measure around your body... I found this one as an example.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2313181_accu...-fat-loss.html

Benji

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Tele00
Tourer

I make a template out of masking paper ..and flip it upside dwon for the opposite side.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
swellsmd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home Depot lazer level and a lazy susan to rotate the tank level seems to work fine. I have not done it but have seen it done.

swells

Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no one way to do it. The bottom line is if you get it close, nobody will ever know the difference anyway. It's easier to get it right if the bike is straight up though so if you have or have access to a lift or a stand, use it. I used the method of putting the first one on one side of the tank but I used a measuring tape to get it at an even measurement (nearest 1/4" or whatever) from the point where the tank meets the neck measuring from the front back to the badge and the point where my console meets the tank measuring from the top down. I used the same measurements to place the one on the other side and then I just eyeballed the angle. I can't tell the difference, if there is one, and I've looked hard. However, if you are using a NT badge, it is longer and thinner than what I used so a mismatched angle might be more apparent. For that you could just use 2 top down measurements, one for the front of the badge and one for the rear and the angle should take care of itself.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can only see one side of the tank at a time so the chances of it being so far off someone might notice are pretty rare. just eyeball it and stick em on, you'll be fine.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Tele00
Tourer

I have done a bunch of them over the years .The Masking paper template is pretty darn easy . Working off a centerline off the top of the tank the paper is taped down ..you lightly rub the side of a crayon over the paper to reveal the edges of the decal, cut it out with a blade ...flip it over aligned with center again , and mark the tank for the other decal . I also always set the tank on the bike prior to putting the first decal on ... A tanks relationship ( as far as being Square to the ground ) is always different on the bike as compated to sitting on a bench .

Last edited by Tele00; 10-02-2008 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
majorbison (04-08-2024)

Quick Reply: How do you attach tank badges evenly on both sides?