Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street bob dying at idle???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Street bob dying at idle???

ok guys, this has happened to me 3 or 4 times now. when i slow to a stop, the bike idles real low and wants to die. if i dont give it some gas it will die, but it restarts just fine.

the first time it happened was when i was slowing to a stop light, the bike idles rough and died on me. started right back up and nothing happened after that for a few weeks or so.

next time it tried to die on me, i gave it some gas and saved it. after i got somewhere i could pull over i did, started to die on me again and i just let it die out since i was parking where i pulled over. started right back up with a high idle, like when your starting it cold...

this weekend after a decently long ride i pulled over, buddy had to ****, and it tried to die out on me again. i gave it gas and saved it again.

i have V&H shortshots staggered, HD stage 1 A/C (w/ K&N filter), and a PCIII. my bike was popping a little bit on deceleration so i added some fuel as directed by PowerCommander. could i be getting too much fuel at idle and this is killing my bike??

i checked for trouble codes and none were tripped and plugs looked good at my 5k service (1 month ago, had done this to me a time or two before the service)...

anyone have any thoughts, something i could check? i do have a map someone on here sent me, will try this map out here this week to see if its a fuel problem... but anyone else have any ideas what could cause this...

Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Pull the air filter and shoot some carb and choke cleaner in the throttle body. Be sure to clean the gunk out of that little hole in the top of the throat. The Idle Air Controller is sticking, and the cleaner will free it up.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

huh... learned something new there KK6PG, thanks for the tip!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
HATZO1
Tourer

WOW!! Another bike besides mine that is doing it.Makes 3 total I know of. (Did the exact same thing you describe) I however have a different set up. I have the Big Sucker and SlipOns with a VH Fuel Pak. I dropped it off at Harley and they adjusted the FP and "inspected the intake " Now that KK6PG stated the Idle air controler was sticking I think I wasted some cash maybe. As that make lots of since as the poor quality gas that we have had down here in GA over the past few months. Anyhow the bike runs great , and HD stated the rear O2 was showing rich so they adjusted the FP and the bike does run great now.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
sick_dyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shimmon, i have the same damn problem with my bike. It pisses me off cause the dealer and a local garage can't find anything wrong with my bike. I have the same problems when I slow, pull the clutch in, or come to an overall stop, the bike will sputter and die if I dont keep reving it.
So if you come up with a solution to this please write back because I wana solve the issue with my bike also. Thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
sick_dyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and by the way I have a forcewinder ac, rhinehart exhaust and a SERT with a custom map. And I only run 91 gas. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:39 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

ok, well good advise... i have some carb and choke cleaner right out side my office door. so might try cleaning it out after work. i did notice a few spots on my heatshields one day, might have been some oil/gunk from the A/C... so i hope this is the fix.

i'm calling today to see when i can get my bike on the dyno... as my rear pipe is blue and my front is gold... something is off here for sure.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 AM
HATZO1
Tourer

Ill be very interested if you find a solution . I can say what ever Harley did to mine while it was at the shop fixed my problem, bike has not had a idle problem yet since getting it back friday 10/10/08 and I ride mine everyday.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

New symptom...

Well the bob hasnt died on me in a while, only idles real low, like its going to die, then recovers to a normal idle. The new symptom is when it idles real low i hear a a lot of electrical sound. I dont really know how to describe it, kinda like a computer or tv is on (not the fan sounds of the computer). I never noticed this sound before untill recently, didnt sound like this before stage 1 stuff... Still no codes being thrown. Going to be putting pass. Pegs on soon and will check out the intake for blockage or something...

ALSO I NOTICED THAT MY BIKE WAS IDLE REALLY HIGH AFTER ABOUT A 10 MINUTE RIDE UP THE STREET, I WOULD THINK IT SHOULD IDLE NORMALLY AFTER 10 MINUTES OF RUNNING. I LET IT WARM UP A GOOD MINUTE OR TWO, THEN TOOK OFF LIKE NORMAL. THEN WENT TO PARK AT WAL*MART AND IT WAS IDLING LIKE I JUST STARTED IT, SURE SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE IDLE, I NEED TO CHECK THE IDLE AIR FLOW SENSOR LIKE ONE POSTER MENTIONED!!!

AND ZERO THROTTLE IS SET!

Last edited by shimmon; 11-06-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ght=dying+idle

also found this, says you can cycle the ignition switch 4 or more times and this will reset your idle. this is for baggers, would this work with our bikes, even though i have a fuel management system installed? might be worth a shot as i dont see it harming anything... also someone stated they had a problem and found that their bike was set on parade mode, does the dynas have this feature, i guess it shuts on cylinder down, might explain the low idle i'm experiencing,

what do you guys think of this??

also found a few other post about similar problems... some have replaced their CPS, crankshaft positioning sensor, and this fixed the problem.

other said he has to reset his zero throttle on his PCIII every couple months or his bike will start doing this...

I'M GOING MAD OF THIS PROBLEM!!!

Last edited by shimmon; 11-06-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 08 Street bob dying at idle???