Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
sfetty
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL

Debating adding luggage rack for trunk/ sissy bar bag or saddle bags on a low rider. Not sure which would look best and be most functional. Need room for two leather coats basically. Dont want either to be too big and bulky to loose sporty look. And of coarse want them to be detachable.

Anybody got pictures of either option on a low rider?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a kitchen round trash can that is about the size of a bikers friend medium long(can is same width and an inch taller) ...2 leather coats will fit in it... along with many other wider items that would have no chance of fitting in a sadddlebag with its narrow width.....
I have latigo saddle bags that cannot fit a leather coat in.(they are smaller than the usual hard mount bags)
I am using the trash can as a measured example as you may have something at home as well that can give you an idea of the usable storage of the rack mount bags vs just the total cubic inches.
hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
GarretG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bag it up

Hey Sfetty,
Have the best of both! Detachable bags and sissy bar. Luggage that attaches to the sissy bar so you can lean back on and ride all day. Thants my set up and it sweet.

Peace,
G

Attached Thumbnails Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-slide8.jpg   Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-slide5.jpg   Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-slide7.jpg   Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-slide9.jpg  
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since your wanting to store two jackets i assume that your riding 2up a lot. maybe your best options is a sissy bar with a luggage rack, and a bag for luggage rack... or you can get away with just the bar and rack if your good at rolling up jackets.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:56 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iron Horse rollbag would look best.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Take a look at Leatherworks bags used with e-z brackets. They look great, mount up very sturdy, and go on/come off in seconds.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the reasons why I wont get saddle bags.
1. Keeping them clean ( good bug and dirt catchers)
2. Keeping them dry and non sagging and mold/mildew free
3. Keeping wheels/rims cleaned of brake dust and grime

You understand you'll need a tail light relocation kit, since you cant have a detachable luggage rack/sissy bar or saddlebags with your current set up.

I'm getting the 5 bar chrome rack with the detachable plate and "low" sissy bar. That way, I can purchase a "sissy bar" mounted bag that's able to rest on either the passenger pavillion part OR luggage rack. If I need more room, I'll buy a separate bag to for use on the luggage rack, and turn the Tbag so it sits on the passenger pavillion. Easy to cover up and keep dry while you're riding...unlike the saddlebags.
When we're done traveling......off everythig comes for that sleek look.
I'm having this set up installed on my Low Rider over this winter...

Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I currently have a sissy bar bag setup. It's a "T Bags" deal with both a large rectangular bag and a small cylindrical bag. With both of those mounted, it can carry a significant amount of stuff. I run the cylindrical bag everyday, as it turns out that it is very handy to have someplace to put stuff when riding. The rectangular bag is only on for trips. My problem with this whole setup is that it is just ugly, IMO. The smaller bag is on everyday and it doesn't really look very "Harley". In fact, it looks like an afterthought. Having the ability to quickly/easily remove the stuff is great and all, but it doesn't really do a whole lot for ya' if it's on the bike all the time and you have to live with the looks of it. I can't even imagine riding around with the larger bag on the sissy bar/luggage rack all the time, which is what would be needed to store 2 jackets.

I'm getting some real saddlebags soon.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
hillbilly deluxe
Cruiser

I use these,they're lockable and they clip on and off in about 2 seconds each.

Attached Thumbnails Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-tour-1.jpg   Backrest bag vs saddle bags on FXDL-dual-seat.jpg