Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bags on my Super Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bags on my Super Glide!

Finally, I've got bags on the Super Glide. I can't stand not having bags, I guess once you have them, you get spoiled by the storage.

I couldn't bring myself to spend ~$600 on real fancy bags, so I decided to go with Willie and Max throwovers with the W&M hard mounts. They bolt the bags right to the bike, and you can pitch the throwover yoke from the bags. I don't have any need for quick detach, so I thought this would be a pretty good option.

The bags are the Willie and Max SB736 Black Magic bags. They're quite nice for the price. Synthetic leather seems to be of good quality, and they have some plastic interior stiffeners to keep the shape. It's not what you'd call a solid plastic tub interior, but just thin plastic walls to hold the bags shape. I wouldn't go standing on them or anything like some other bag manufacturers advertise. They're not quite as big as I'd hoped, but there's simply not that much room on the Dyna rear end for huge saddlebags. Oh well.

The mounts are simply black steel powdercoated bars that make a little frame behind the bag, and bolts that allow you to bolt the bags right to the frame. They're universal, and fit nicely into the holes left on the Dyna after relocating the turn signals.

I spent the better part of the afternoon working on mounting them, partially because I didn't have the instructions for the turn signal relocation kit, and I measured and remeasured about 100 times before drilling the bags.

So, final pictures. I think they look really good! Total price delivered from Cycle Luggage was $211. Great value for the price. We'll see how they hold up. I wasn't sure what to expect for how cheap they are, but so far I'm impressed.

Finished pics:

Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Looking good ... please give a follow up report after you've given 'em a riding season on how they've held up.

R/
Priest

Old 10-21-2008, 11:47 PM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice

I think they look really good. I sure miss having my bags on from time to time. I think I'm going to look into the quick release mounts for the bags so I can put them back on when I think I'll need them or for the trips out of town then I can take them off if I feel like it... but again, nice bags, nice bike. Where's what I have in mind.
http://www.edgeleather.com/index.php...6-to-2003.html

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I sure will. I'm not one to cheap out, especially when it comes to my bikes, but in this case, I just couldn't wrap my brain around $600 bags. So hopefully these will do the trick. I use them pretty much every day commuting to work so they'll get some good use.

I really think the only time I'd need the detachable ones is just for cleaning the bike, and I just couldn't justify the extra expense. I like to use a stuff sack inside the bags for traveling. Just open the bag, grab the stuff sack and you're good to go. I had detachable hard bags (actually they were powdercoated ammo cans) on my old V-Strom, and once I had them on, I never took them off.

Last edited by MZBuckeye; 10-21-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the money, they don't look bad at all.

I'll bet you could make them easy-off by putting the bolts in from behind the fender.

Just throw a locknut on the outside, slip the mounts on and then bolt down with another nut.

When you want to clean the bike, remove 2 nuts and the bag/bracket comes off.

I actually did this on my Suzuki by lining the back of the bags with a thick aluminum sheet...no need for special brackets then. Chrome acorn nuts were used when I didn't want to run bags.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mascman
For the money, they don't look bad at all.

I'll bet you could make them easy-off by putting the bolts in from behind the fender.

That's what I did to keep from having those bag supports left behind. I use black nylon thread covers rather than acorn nuts when the bags are off.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

That's a good idea. I'll see how it goes for awhile with them on, and if I feel the need to have them detach, I'll look into that option further. I happen to like the way it looks with them on though.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

Anyone look'n at leather bags check out Caolina Leather Works . I have a set of there bags an like thwm ,well made and usa made. They have throwovers and some to mount to a bracket like easy bracket. They can be seen at the OTHER v-twin forum at the fxr site for (show me your bike at the top of the page. P.16#234 . These bags are only 120 bucks . I bought throw overs cause i don't take them off but losen the seat ,untie 4 leather straps and there off.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

i like bags on my dyna too. good for throwing my laptop in there for work.

see em here if you like:

http://picasaweb.google.com/thomaskr...50430059725922

Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
That's a good idea. I'll see how it goes for awhile with them on, and if I feel the need to have them detach, I'll look into that option further. I happen to like the way it looks with them on though.

When I had bags, I never washed the bike with them on...this made it easy for me to get them off.

I also remove the seat when i wash it too...just something I've always done. Since i wash and then ride, it avoided the wet butt from water trapped in the seams!

Quick Reply: New bags on my Super Glide!