Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My FLDCI project

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My FLDCI project...new pics 11-16-08

I know I'm not the first to do this (SURFOR Chop has made this conversion on his bike)but here it is anyway. I ran into a few new challenges with the 2006 that made this a little interesting. Here is the before shot, not a great one but it is what I have.
My FLDCI project-fxdc1.jpg
As you will see in Priest's post and on Ken and Judy's site the stop on the neck needs to be ground down or the trees will not fit.
My FLDCI project-neck.jpg
The next thing you have to attack are the steering stops on the lower tree. You have to remove a fair amount of material to get it to turn. I used a scribe to mark where the headlight bolt was a full lock with the original forks and then ground the new trees until they matched.
My FLDCI project-stops.jpg
I know a lot of you don't use the lock feature but it is a habit for me and I wanted to retain it. The Fat Boy locks inside the neck so I hade to make a bracket to work with the bike. It was pure dumb luck hat this worked out. I set this up where I thought it would line up and instead of tacking it I welded it solid, thankfully it worked.
My FLDCI project-lock.jpg
The original lower tree has a raised boss that the Fat Boy tree did not have. I don't know if this was an issue on the earlier bike but it was here. I used a hardened washer that was as thick as the boss was tall. With out it the tree bottomed out on the neck before the bearing found the race.
My FLDCI project-tree.jpg

Last edited by ackman1968; 11-14-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: New pictures
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Had to start a new section since you can only put five pictures per post. The washer on the tree moved them apart enough that I had to oblong the mounting holes for the nacelle to get it to fit. Easy enough but the next issue with the nacelle was the wiring harness's coming out of the frame. It would pinch them at full lock so I had more mods to do. Nothing worse than cutting the snot out of new expensive parts!
My FLDCI project-nacelle.jpg
Once all that monkey business was sorted out, here is where it sits.
My FLDCI project-fldci.jpg
I have a Street Bob tank for it and a Road King fender that I need to make fit but at least I'm real close to being able to ride it again. Next thing I have to do is decide what to do for paint.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 AM
cflchurch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job, i'm picking up my fat bob today and putting an o4 fatboy front end with the nacelle too. its cold here but ill put 200 miles on her then tear down for winter. again, great job, any side pics?

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

No side pics yet, it's pretty tight moving around in my garage right now. I am going to roll it out side some time this weekend so I can get some better shots.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Took some more pics today. Here is one from the side.
My FLDCI project-side.jpg
I decided not to widen the Road King fender. I bought a Street Bob fender off of ebay and I am grafting the bottom rear of the RK fender to it. It will be much easier with my skill set.
My FLDCI project-rfender.jpg
I stll have no idea what I want to do for paint, I am leaning towards a dark green but that could change by morning.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

I still need to weld the fender but I wanted to hang it on the bike to see how it looked. I know this isn't for everyone but I'm liking it a lot.
My FLDCI project-side2.jpg

Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good idea on modding the rear fender. Are you lose the FXD speedo mount or keep it for a tach?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
Good idea on modding the rear fender. Are you lose the FXD speedo mount or keep it for a tach?
I'm going to get rid of it, it doesn't quite look right to me with the big front end.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
cflchurch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great. i'm going to use a rear fender frome an 09' roadking classic, its the same width as fatbob rear . i will have to patch some mounting holes. i'm still don't know what i want to do as far as old fxdp floorboards or new softail style . both need minor mod, but i want the easiest route. anyway, great job. Brian

Last edited by cflchurch; 11-17-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: My FLDCI project