Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake upgrade wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Brake upgrade wanted

I recently bought a '09 Street Bob and I like everything about it except I'm disappointed in the brakes on it. They just don't compare to any other bike (6 of them before this one) that I've owned. I'm wondering if I can improve on the braking of this bike without spending a fortune. Maybe upgraded pads or some kind other kind of mod to increase the stopping power of the bike. Thanks in advance for advice/input.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you on the braking. It sucks compared to anything I've owned before also. I would try EBC sintered brake pads. I added them to my single caliper before converting to duals, and it was a real nice improvement. Nothing compared to the dual brake upgrade, if you can swing it, but if not, try a stainless line and the EBC sintered pads. Should help.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people like the lyndall z pads.

upgrading to dual discs is a major expense on 2006+ dynas - you need to replace the entire front end with fat bob or aftermarket.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Shag67
Road Master

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I agree with you on the braking. It sucks compared to anything I've owned before also. I would try EBC sintered brake pads. I added them to my single caliper before converting to duals, and it was a real nice improvement. Nothing compared to the dual brake upgrade, if you can swing it, but if not, try a stainless line and the EBC sintered pads. Should help.
Thanks. Can you give me an idea of what the dual disc conversion runs? I was talking to a friend of mine last weekend and told him that's exactly what I think the bike really needs but I'm worried I'm gonna have to blow through a stop sign and get side-swiped with my wife on the back of the bike before I can convince her that it's a NEED and not a want.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

lyndall gold pads, with hight temp pad greace... you will be happy as a clam! and no brake dust

Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shag67
Thanks. Can you give me an idea of what the dual disc conversion runs? I was talking to a friend of mine last weekend and told him that's exactly what I think the bike really needs but I'm worried I'm gonna have to blow through a stop sign and get side-swiped with my wife on the back of the bike before I can convince her that it's a NEED and not a want.
No, I'm sorry, I really can't. I have an '05 and HD makes a kit to do it real easy, but for anything newer it's tough. There are some threads on here about just that though if you do some searching. I really think it's worth it though, hell people drop thousands into the engine to make a slow bike a little less slow, me I'd rather spend that kind of money on something like braking and handling.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
jefx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Shag67
I'm worried I'm gonna have to blow through a stop sign and get side-swiped with my wife on the back of the bike before I can convince her that it's a NEED and not a want.
Maybe there's something wrong?

My stock brakes stop as fast as I want to. I have to give a good squeeze on the lever, but it defiantly stops quick.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jefx
Maybe there's something wrong?

My stock brakes stop as fast as I want to. I have to give a good squeeze on the lever, but it defiantly stops quick.
Agree ... there have been a lot of "my brakes suck" threads and quite frankly - mine don't seem bad at all. Only brake upgrade is braided line on the front - however I have upgraded my suspension front and rear and it seems that a better front suspension that dives less will actually keep more weight over the rear wheel and improve braking all around? just a thought.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Shag67
Road Master

Originally Posted by glide05
Agree ... there have been a lot of "my brakes suck" threads and quite frankly - mine don't seem bad at all. Only brake upgrade is braided line on the front - however I have upgraded my suspension front and rear and it seems that a better front suspension that dives less will actually keep more weight over the rear wheel and improve braking all around? just a thought.
I appreciate the feedback but I'm 99.9% sure that's not the problem. I just came off of a sport bike (gsx-r 750) and rode it even after getting the Harley and the difference is just night in day in acceleration and stopping power. I've talked to a lot of people who have ridden both sport bikes and Harleys and they all agree that the brakes on Harleys are lacking. They just are. I've read magazine reviews that say the same. I can stop the bike safely when I'm riding it alone and at moderate speeds but as soon as I crank it up or have a passenger, I have to give myself extra room to stop. I'll try the brake pads that have been mentioned earlier in the thread. Again, thanks for all of the feedback so far.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...disc-dyna.html

Less than $500 for a dual disc set up on a 2006. Just takes patience and eBay.

On a side note, this is about the third time I've posted this link in the last week or so. A search for "dual disc" or similiar pulls it right up. Before anyone flames me, I'm more than happy to help anyone who wants to try this conversion, but please, try the search.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade wanted