Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inverted Forks

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
swb502
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted Forks

Hello,

I have an 03 Dyna, and it looks like I'm about to get my hands on a 07 Dyna. I want to switch over to inverted forks like on my Buell. Looking into it however it seems that it will either cost a huge sum of money for the forks.

I found GCB inverted forks:

http://www.harleycustom.com/Prod-GCB...son-10-23.html

Storz
http://www.storzperf.com/jpgs/page11.html

After those I found a set by Ultima, they cost about 1/3rd of the others. Are the Ultima forks 'look good' or performer good?
http://www.steelthundercc.com/frontend.html

So what I wanted to know is if anyone one here has other suggestions for getting an inverted fork set up. I was also looking at trying to fit a sport bike setup, but they all seem way to short, the other options seemed to be v-rod, also way to short, or possible getting a victory front end for a Hammer S.

Thanks for your time.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Rumor has it a GSXR front end will fit on a st bob as well... now that would be SICK!!! awesome inverted front end!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swb502
Hello,

I have an 03 Dyna, and it looks like I'm about to get my hands on a 07 Dyna. I want to switch over to inverted forks like on my Buell. Looking into it however it seems that it will either cost a huge sum of money for the forks.

I found GCB inverted forks:

http://www.harleycustom.com/Prod-GCB...son-10-23.html

Storz
http://www.storzperf.com/jpgs/page11.html

After those I found a set by Ultima, they cost about 1/3rd of the others. Are the Ultima forks 'look good' or performer good?
http://www.steelthundercc.com/frontend.html

So what I wanted to know is if anyone one here has other suggestions for getting an inverted fork set up. I was also looking at trying to fit a sport bike setup, but they all seem way to short, the other options seemed to be v-rod, also way to short, or possible getting a victory front end for a Hammer S.

Thanks for your time.
Couldn't you just get longer 49mm fork tubes if you wanted to run the V-rod setup?

Would need spacers on the springs unless you find longer springs also.

You may be better off just buying a used V-rod in the long run!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
bosken
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Find a used front end from e sports bike R1, GSXR ...I will go there myself one day!
With the radial brake calipers--looks awesome..

Like this one:

Name:  ____23dsfsdf.jpg
Views: 17639
Size:  90.7 KB

Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain

The main problem is the TREES I am moving forward with this mod on my 07 FXD, have a deal to discuss with a machine shop in Vancouver BC for a set of NOT wide glide trees, I do not like the look of the wide glide front end

I also want a dual disc front end may not be able to get with the HD stuff and may have to go Metric

the problem with a narrow front end is the turning radius of the front wheel is not as good as stock, the forks hit the stops

Exile has made trees for USD forks BUT they need the accurate diameter of the upper portion of the forks or the forks themselves, a dimension I have been unable to get as I have never seen the HD forks although if you get a part number --I lost the one I had----Zanotti had a killer price

GIXr forks are no brainer for a Sportster as the fork length are very close, shorter rear shock even things up

Last edited by tbrenan; 12-02-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the ultima, I've seen it advertised as well.

I took a cheap way and bought Race Tech's cartridge emulators and inserted them in the stock front end. They help that dampening rod suspension perform at a much higher level than otherwise possible.

I think the best bang for the buck is what mudpuddle did when he installed the frame isolators. The high speed wobble inherent in the Dyna models isn't front end related but rather the weakness is in the swingarm/tranny connection. His set up eliminated that wobble.

Good luck with your choices.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default 1

This is a much bigger subject than you realize. There are many who stick these front ends on bikes but they do not work properly. You need a full machine shop to figure out how to get the proper trail. You than need to know how to build forks so you can get the proper spring rate and valving. A stock metric set of forks will be able to stick on the front but the forks will not work properly. This is a science all until itself. To get them forks to work, not just to look at, is a whole other story. How do I know?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default 2

and more to do. For a mere $12,000, a few million dollars worth of machinery, 1 1/2 years of research, and lots of talented employees

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default 3

and than lots of time to do this:

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

there you go, straight from the source.
Howard's got some real nice stuff for guys who real like to ride hard