Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob scraping sound problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fat Bob scraping sound problem

Grinding scraping sound from footpegs in turns

The Fat Bob Dyna provides such a confidence inspiring ride, ya' just gotta have a little fun in the turns. Problem, is the beast is a little lower than some other Dynas, and the midmount pegs compound, being I guess a little closer to the ground. I need the mid mounts for proper ability to move about the seat fore and aft as well as hanging off for cornering, or standing up for bigger bumps in the road. So....

The OEM Fat Bob blinged shock at 12" length is about 1/2 inch shorter than some other Dynas.

Just so happens that Progressive Suspension sells a 4048B 440 shock for Dynas that is 12.5 inches. Another big plus, is being black...one more step to removing excess chrome.

So, jack the bike up, off with the old and on with the new. About 45 minutes if you take your time. Just make sure you use lock-tite and torque the fasteners 30-40 (40 for mine)ft.-lbs. as per the shop manual.

It leans a little more on the stand, and the stand does not drag on the deck any more when you stand the bike up off of the jiffy stand.

But it has a little more lean available, can get almost all the way to the edge of the tire now.

I know I have changed the rake slightly, it still feels FANTASTIC, turns in even easier and holds its line as if on rails. The Progressive shocks are magic and a huge handling/feel/control improvement over the OEM shocks.

I will probably raise the front end slightly to restore the design rake (and gain a bit more clearance as well.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look great! I think your front end will be fine (like you said, other dynas rock the taller shocks). I was all about the lowered shocks in the past, but nothing beats the feeling of burning through a corner without having to worry about clearance. Glad to see your "priorities" are straight.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

looks great glad you can lean her now NO CHICKEN STRIPS on those tires

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The black 440s look great on your bike... plus they're functional.

Maybe you need some new foot pegs? I just saw these on the MoCo's website... they come with a wear peg. #50695-08. They say they're for the XR1200, but I don't see why they wouldn't fit. The mount looks the same.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob scraping sound problem-footpeg.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have that same problem with the 12.5 inch shocks.

Wait until you tag the ground with the primary. VERY spooky feeling.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the XR been available here when I bought my Fat Bob just a month ago, I would have ordered the XR. It has been getting rave reviews for its handling.... acceleration-twisty road capability-braking. I like the looks of the XR footpeg and the feeler would throw some impressive sparks for Killboyz at the Gap.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

GOOD GOD ackman, how much lean do you have to have to scrape the primary, without laying it down??? On a Dyna to boot...

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
...the feeler would throw some impressive sparks for Killboyz at the Gap.
Titanium feelers would be even more cool.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

dude i love those stock shocks!!! they look killer! send them to me! ha ha ha
scraping happens... no big deal

Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much of it boils down to "leaning technique". I used to scrape all the time, but then got a little coaching from some sport riders. I find that if I am hanging off the side of the seat and looking around the bars with my oposite knee locked against the tank, I can still turn sharply without having to lean the bike over as far. I should note, however, that mid controls are a must for riding like this. At least for me. (I still miss how cool I looked with forwards though.)

Quick Reply: Fat Bob scraping sound problem