Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Good post but just a few thoughts lest everyone gets paranoid on this line. When the engine is running the fuel pump runs all the time to maintain a set fuel pressure be it idle or wide open throttle for a fuel injected bike. So it is normal to hear and see a evidence of the pressure regulator working if the tank is near empty. This can be mistaken for a bad line. The first sign of either a problem with this line or a very stopped up filter is the bike will not idle since it is very lean at idle and the loss of the set apx 55-62 lbs pressure for the injectors will not provide the correct volume with the extremely short duration of the spray. It will start and idle with the throttle cracked with this problem, it just will not idle. Note this is the exact opposite of what would happen on a carb bike without a fuel pump but with a stopped up filter.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

RE: Ripsaw.

I had a leak in my fuel line 2 years ago. It would idle fine, but would not maintain a speed. By the time I got home I couldn't go over 40 mph . If I tried to increase my speed it would 'sneeze' out of the air cleaner. It also didn't start as easily as normal.
I was coming home from a weekend trip and had trouble making the last 100 miles. The next day when I started it , I could hear a 'hissssss' coming from the 1/4 empty tank. That's what lead me to check the line. It was a pin hole so small I couldn't see it unless there was pressure on it. (flashlight into the tank with pump running)

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
alwaystinkerin
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey a little off topic but w6 how did you do your wide glide conversion?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Figures I go to order the line at napa and its on "national back order." Wtf is that?! Guy said they'll be getting more sometime in February.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 AM
connml
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to replace my fuel line on 2006 Dyna FXDI. Had a LOUD hissing sound during start up and idle. The line from the fuel pump to the bottom of the tank had developed pin holes from a rub. VERY EASY to fix on your own. New line was about 90 bucks from HD. The replacment line was also smooth instead of rigged, i assume to prevent the problem from redeveloping.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 PM
kenlani
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yup- got this problem too

I have had fuel problems for a while now-finally found the pinholes in the line from pump to filter assy-l I am gonna change to the gates line but wonder if there is a safe easy way to remove the old fuel line without marking/gouging the plastic male nipples Thank You any help and thanks for the Original Post

Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I was able to get my hand down in the tank with a small pair of side cut pliers and cut the clamp off the filter. I then unscrewed the fitting from the bottom of the tank and pulled the line out that way. It was a bit of a pain to get the new one in as I didn't remove the pump from the tank. But it has worked fine for 3 years now. The whole job took me about an hour, including R&R of the tank.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,773 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog

I was able to get my hand down in the tank with a small pair of side cut pliers and cut the clamp off the filter. I then unscrewed the fitting from the bottom of the tank and pulled the line out that way. It was a bit of a pain to get the new one in as I didn't remove the pump from the tank. But it has worked fine for 3 years now. The whole job took me about an hour, including R&R of the tank.
really??

got any pix??

that is amazing...........

Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
kenlani
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I'm referring to the other line-the one at the pump that goes to the filter unit not the one to the tank bottomAlso there are no clamps holding on the hose(s), they appear to have been shrunk on

Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am questioning the fuel lines in my tank on my '03 softy. It has 17,500 miles on it and it runs really lean. (Had it dyno'd to check the AFR) however I don't have any real skipping or anything. It has been running kind of strange the past 200 or so miles. Doesn't stall. Doesn't really idle with any sort of choppiness. Just really lean and kind of a dog all of a sudden. Occasional pop from the exhaust, which it never did before. Think it could be the fuel lines and filter (they have never been changed)

Quick Reply: Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?