Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yipes, that isn't what I wanted to hear.
Not too late to take it apart again.
I have some ss nice clamps to use.
I will just try and add the extra ss clamp with the sping clamo that is there.
I believe there is enough room on the end to do it.
Just open the ss clamp and fit it around the hose, slip it down and tighten it up.
I don't want to cut the hose....too expensive and shorter is not good.
Those ends don't want to let the hose go without cutting.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mahagowitz
Your next spring project will be replacing the clamp on the lower hose. I originally did that same thing a couple years ago and made it to the end of the driveway before it blew off. The high pressure is too much for that clamp to stay on. I got a screw tight type stainless steel clamp and slipped it on from the inside. There's just enough room on the bottom of the tank to get a socket screwdriver down there to tighten it up. Hasn't failed in 30k miles.
Originally Posted by stilup
Yipes, that isn't what I wanted to hear.
Not too late to take it apart again.
I have some ss nice clamps to use.
I will just try and add the extra ss clamp with the sping clamo that is there.
I believe there is enough room on the end to do it.
Just open the ss clamp and fit it around the hose, slip it down and tighten it up.
I don't want to cut the hose....too expensive and shorter is not good.
Those ends don't want to let the hose go without cutting.
Thanks for the heads up.
Mine have been on for seven years without issues? You might want to give a little thought to what is in bold above........

Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 PM
mahagowitz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stilup said "I ended up cutting the crimped end off and using another new length of line and used a spring self tightening clamp and ground most of the ears off to fit.
I crimped both ends on the short line from the pump to the filter as I think that would be permanent."

It's the ground down spring clamp that I'm thinking will fail because that was my first solution when I did mine and I only made it 50 feet. I think he doesn't want to cut the short line. When it was all said and done I bought a high pressure fuel injection hose from Auto Zone, my very first replacement hose was regular and blew out after about 60 miles leaving me stranded, and four stainless screw type hose clamps. I would pull the whole thing a couple times that first year or so just to check on wear and clamp tightness as well as bringing an extra hose and clamps every time I traveled. It gets easier every time.

Last edited by mahagowitz; 02-24-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:48 PM
mahagowitz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This here is a quick disconnect so you should be able to pull the assembly and then work on that line independently. If you crimped the line from the pump to the filter I don't think they'd fail, only the ground spring clamp.

Last edited by mahagowitz; 02-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Stilup said "I ended up cutting the crimped end off and using another new length of line and used a spring self tightening clamp and ground most of the ears off to fit.
I crimped both ends on the short line from the pump to the filter as I think that would be permanent."

It's the ground down spring clamp that I'm thinking will fail because that was my first solution when I did mine and I only made it 50 feet. I think he doesn't want to cut the short line. When it was all said and done I bought a high pressure fuel injection hose from Auto Zone, my very first replacement hose was regular and blew out after about 60 miles leaving me stranded, and four stainless screw type hose clamps. I would pull the whole thing a couple times that first year or so just to check on wear and clamp tightness as well as bringing an extra hose and clamps every time I traveled. It gets easier every time.
This here is a quick disconnect so you should be able to pull the assembly and then work on that line independently. If you crimped the line from the pump to the filter I don't think they'd fail, only the ground spring clamp.

Is that a "submersible" fuel line? Also if you look at the first page of this thread you can see my altered hose clamp.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:10 AM
stilup
Road Warrior

I'm hesitant after reading more on adding another clamp cause I would not be able to remove the lower hose assembly without digging for the clamp deep inside.
I used the proper fuel line and after struggling to fit the hose end on I know it's tight.
I will trust the ground clamps for now.
If it's worked for W56 Formula for all these years then that's good enough for me.
Plus if I ever sold the bike the poor guy would go nuts trying to pull it apart.
if it fails then I would just replace the complete lower hose assembly.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:47 PM
stilup
Road Warrior

Happy to say Sunday's trial run was a complete success.
Lines holding tight, runs great!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

My bike is about due for a fuel filter, so I'm gathering parts for this.

I'm assuming the reason for modifying the clamp at the pump, from the line to the bottom of tank is because that line is pulled out and reinserted from the bottom of the tank?

If I use this style clamp then I won't have to modify it, but I'm not sure I can find a local source for them, and I think that you need a special tool to crimp them tight, but I could be wrong.
Name:  clamp_zpsk3arwi5j.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  19.3 KB

Bike is a '09 FXDC

Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM
stilup
Road Warrior

I tried that first and it would only work with the short line. I did buy the tool. It works great and also used it to crimp the crossover line.
My ground spring clamp is on the bottom and I also have a quality SS hose clamp that doesn't cut the line. on the top of the longer line. I fit that in the tank after feeding it through the bottom with the spring clamp already installed.
So it is maintainable, if I had to remove I could unscrew the clamp on top, slide it down through. the rest comes out the top.
I don't expect any trouble cause it's been flawless.
thanks WS6 Formula for you information.
PS, the busted line in the picture doesn't look to be the submersible quality hose.
get all new o-rings, 4 pcs
The reason I used the ss clamp is I didn't want to cut the line after I had already clamped it with the crimp, I had to cut the top crimped clamp to fit it in the bottom of the tank.
otherwise I would of just used two ground spring clamps. The hose was so tight I went with it,
So the tool was over $60.00 and used it for 4 connections but I got it and you can never have enough good tools.
Doing the work yourself you can afford it.

Last edited by stilup; 04-26-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Got it done last night, not the worst repair I've done, but it was kind of a pain in the ***. One of those times it would have been nice to have small hands. I didn't see any issues with the factory fuel lines, but I replaced them anyway. I ended up using screw-type clamps I found at Napa (Balkamp 7051226) specifically designed for high pressure fuel injection hose. Ran the hose without the clamps on up through the bottom of the tank, then slipped the hose clamps down and installed them in the tank. Wasn't too hard to access the clamps from the inside.

Name:  pump_zpscner85yg.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  42.7 KB

Last edited by Reindeer; 05-03-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Corrected part number

Quick Reply: Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?