Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
DG422
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

So I replaced the hose on Monday, it's better but not 100%. Gonna leave her alone until the weekend when I can pull everything out and reconnect to make sure it's all fitted properly. I may eventually need to replace the fuel pump, but we shall see...

Old 06-08-2016, 04:34 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace the fuel filter when you was in there.

One of my buddys made a hookup so he could check the fuel pressure too.
That was 3 yrs ago.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:18 AM
DG422
Cruiser

So here is my current status, sitting on my couch frustrated with the MoCo for using plastic hose in the fuel tank that can become brittle and crack. So because i have never done this before, I must have damaged the second plastic hose when manipulating all the stuff inside the tank. What is incredibly frustrating is that there is no place that I am aware of in NYC that stocks submersible fuel line, so I have to order and wait and I NEED to ride NOW!!!

To answer the other question, no, I did not replace the filter, but I will soon. I am getting the impression that a lot of the stuff I am seeing is stock and probably in need of replacement. i am no mechanic, just a guy that can figure things out and knows how to read a manual.

Stay tuned...

Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I can see how the frustration builds with the fuel line project.
When I did mine I bought piles of parts like filter, sock, O-rings, including the bottom O-ring for the quick disconnect. Fuel line, clamps, crimps.
Watched a little youtube to get ready, then went for it.
I'm the same way as I like to do everything myself.
My fuel filter and line change came out good but it was a PIA to get the pump out and back in properly.
It's good you do it yourself, hang in there.

The following users liked this post:
DG422 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Pete J. Thompson
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading this and it's been really informative. I Have a 2010 Wide Glide and have pulled out my pump assembly, and changed the line from the check valve to the pump. I didn't see any holes in that line and I don't see any holes in the other line either. I have checked it, and the guy at the parts counter checked them as well. No holes found, but I replaced the one anyways. At first I only thought it was running bad with low fuel, and now it's running poorly with at least 3/4 of a tank. I've pulled it all back apart and am going to change the fuel filter tomorrow, it looks pretty dark. The screen pickup has some flakes of I assume paint in it so I am going to try and get that too. I'll also be changing out the regulator just for good measure. I leave for a bike trip in about 5 days so I don't have a bunch of time to get this puppy right. I'm open to any additional suggestions if ya have em.

Ride on brothers!!!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:07 AM
DG422
Cruiser

so I replaced the hose from the bottom of the tank where it connects to the fuel supply line and I am still running rough. so I have to imagine that it is now one or two things, the pump is bad or there is an issue with my injector(s). Yesterday as I was riding back, and running rough, I hit a bump and everything started to run and work the way it is supposed to which makes me think it could be the pump or the injectors. I think I am at a point where I need to step aside and swallow my pride and open my wallet and go to the dealer or another shop if I can find one. This thread and many others that I have read on this forum have been INCREDIBLY helpful along with my parts book and service manual. I need to ride, but I need to make sure the bike is safe and that I do not do any damage to it.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by DG422
so I replaced the hose from the bottom of the tank where it connects to the fuel supply line and I am still running rough. so I have to imagine that it is now one or two things, the pump is bad or there is an issue with my injector(s). Yesterday as I was riding back, and running rough, I hit a bump and everything started to run and work the way it is supposed to which makes me think it could be the pump or the injectors. I think I am at a point where I need to step aside and swallow my pride and open my wallet and go to the dealer or another shop if I can find one. This thread and many others that I have read on this forum have been INCREDIBLY helpful along with my parts book and service manual. I need to ride, but I need to make sure the bike is safe and that I do not do any damage to it.
Could be a bad pressure relief valve or a cracked housing dumping pressure preventing full pressure getting to the injectors.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 PM
DG422
Cruiser
Default update...

so I brought the bike into the dealership last Tuesday morning. Spoke to the mechanic and told him everything I did, and he was surprised that the issue was not resolved... Finally called me back today and told me that the Gates line that I put in first has a slice in it somehow and he replaced that. the next thing he found was that the download for the EFI Stage I was for the stock 8 degree injectors. When the TSB came out and the previous owner had the injectors replaced with the 25 degree one, that dealer never updated the mapping. I think it is odd that after 11 years it finally decides to act up, but then again I am not really surprised by this. They are only going to charge me for the download of the map which is not bad considering the bike has been in the shop a week.... I will pick her up tomorrow and should get "accidentally" lost for a while.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did he replace the gates hose with ,
As thick as it is. Hard to think it had a slice in it.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:39 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Only thing I can think is happening here with sliced gates lines is installing the line too loose and catching on sharp sheetmetal.
When I did mine I used just as much hose needed for a tight wrap on the top hose.
Taking WS6 Formula advice on that as he mentions in his install,
Still no problems here.

Quick Reply: Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?