Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Eagle rear fender

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 06:38 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default West Eagle rear fender

Anyone using the bobbed rear fender from West Eagle/Easyriders on their SB? If so, what do you think, and please post some pics
Thanks

Old 05-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,509 Likes on 802 Posts

Sorry I can't answer your question. I thought about getting that for a long time, and almost did it. In the end I just couldn't get past the idea of putting fiberglass on the bike. I ended up just chopping mine. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:04 AM
jqb12
Road Master

Sharp edges don't like. thinking the fdender is just too bulky?
Yes, I did the same because the rear of my fender cracked, so I just chopped it off but was never totally satisfied with the look. So now I'm gonna revisit the thing and do something that I can live with. Just exploring all options. Is your fender being supported by just the bolts you made through the struts? Can you post a pic of your bike from behind?

Last edited by jqb12; 05-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,509 Likes on 802 Posts

I had a fiberglass aftermarket fender on a bike about 25 years ago and didn't like it. It ended up spiderwebbing the paint from excessive flexing.

I chopped the struts right behind the stock forward holes, the ones where your turn signals are now mounted. Before I chopped I removed one shock absorber and then compressed the remaining shock all the way using a ratcheting tie down looped around the swingarm and the strut. I laid some 3/8" rope over the top of the tire and laid the fender on that, and then marked where the new mounting holes would go in the fender. That way I new I could bottom out the shocks and the fender still wouldn't rub on the tire.

I also rigged up a front mount with some bar stock that let me solidly bolt the front of the fender. I'll see if I can get a pic of that but it's pretty hidden.

As far as the sharp edge, I sanded mine so it wasn't quite so knife edge-like. Seems to work OK.

Finally, I drilled some new holes in the struts a little forward of the fender mount holes to move the turn signals a little farther forward.

Mounting the fender lower took away most of the "dirt bike" look, and when I'm sitting on it the shock compression lowers it even more.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:10 AM
jqb12
Road Master

OK, got it.
So if I decide for now to not fool around with cutting the struts, do you think I can just sand down those sharp edges to sort of round them out around the edge of the strut? I cut the fender originally with a jigsaw but cant use that to get nice and tight around the edge of that strut bolt. So if I remove the bottom part of the shocks, jack up the bike, I can then sand/round that area out? Sand paper, a metal file....what's the best thing to use - don't have a dremmel/power tool.
Thanks for the help