Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob + Windshield = question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:17 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Bob + Windshield = question

Has anyone tried the standard or low profile Harley quick detach windshields for their Fat Bob? I'm thinking of adding one for winter riding but based on my experience with these same windshields on my Low Rider, I'm concerned that I'm going to face significant buffeting. (I'm 5'6" and wear a full face.)

Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Dynamight
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the low pro setup and I get a pretty good amount of buffeting.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dynamight
I have the low pro setup and I get a pretty good amount of buffeting.
<sigh>

That's what I'm afraid of. As much as I'd like to divert some of the windblast I get @ 65+ mph, I prefer clean air to buffeting.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a low profile. Been experimenting with it in various heights on the fork.
With it mounted so the headlight cutout is just above the lights ..... when speed reaches about 70, the buffeting is obnoxious, particularly when riding in 6th gear. Apparently complimentary vibration is induced with the thumping pistons and the buffeting actually becomes intolerable as in vision bouncing.

So, I mounted the clamps down low, the lower ones below the triple clamp.
(will take some photos later) When mounted low, I am now in clean air up to about 80. A tiny, tolerable buffet above that speed to a tested 90 mph so far.

The fork up front has about 5.1" of travel so there is room for the clamps and no danger of contact from the top of shock housing...provided you don't go to low. The headlamp cutout does cover about the top third of the lights, but does not affect road illumination and reflected glare from the lights on the rear of the windshield is not a problem. At the low position, all the pressure on upper chest is still fully relieved, and the air pressure on head is minimal if anything much at all.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Centerline
I have a low profile. Been experimenting with it in various heights on the fork.
With it mounted so the headlight cutout is just above the lights ..... when speed reaches about 70, the buffeting is obnoxious, particularly when riding in 6th gear. Apparently complimentary vibration is induced with the thumping pistons and the buffeting actually becomes intolerable as in vision bouncing.
Exactly. In fact, I've had buffeting so bad that I started to get sick. This wasn't just a problem with my Dynas either - I had the same thing with the stock shield on a Road Glide.

Originally Posted by Centerline
So, I mounted the clamps down low, the lower ones below the triple clamp.
(will take some photos later) When mounted low, I am now in clean air up to about 80. A tiny, tolerable buffet above that speed to a tested 90 mph so far.

The fork up front has about 5.1" of travel so there is room for the clamps and no danger of contact from the top of shock housing...provided you don't go to low. The headlamp cutout does cover about the top third of the lights, but does not affect road illumination and reflected glare from the lights on the rear of the windshield is not a problem. At the low position, all the pressure on upper chest is still fully relieved, and the air pressure on head is minimal if anything much at all.
If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a pic. I'm trying to picture what the shield would look like that low on the forks. It's been awhile since I played with the quick detach shields but I don't remember them being able to clear the actual headlamp assembly - but then again, this was with a Low Rider - not the Fat Bob's dual light assembly. Otherwise, your solution sounds exactly like what I'm needing - something that will divert air at normal highway speeds without making me feel like a bobblehead doll.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior

I was quite surprised that the windshield clears nicely the twin headlights.
Gimme about 30 minutes ..... I'll wander out in the garage get some pics .....

Old 12-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior

Harley low profile windshield mounted very low on FXDF Fat Bob. No more obnoxious buffeting at highway speeds. Front forks have 5.1" travel, make sure to clear that below bottom quick release mounts. The windshield does not contact the headlight bezels whatsoever. Hey, it's a Rat Bike retro, thow cares if the 'shield is mounted a little goofy? WORKS !

*the marks on the fork tubes are from the various mounting heights tried and are easily wiped off, the quick mounts do not mar the fork tubes.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Bill-FXDF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning. I have a standard quick detach on my 08 FXDF and it works great though to cut down a little on the wind buffeting I have raised it as high as it would go, which seems to help a little. Watch those little rubber gromets on the clamps, they tend to come out of their channels and get lost then the clamp will mark up the forks.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies - and a special thanks to you CL for taking time to post the pics. I have to be honest - having the shield that low over the lights looks a little awkward - but if it works, I wonder why HD hasn't designed an "ultra low profile" shield - it's not like we're the first ones to experience buffeting with these shields. Go figure.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think there is a windshield out there that you won't exp. some sort of buffetting.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob + Windshield = question