Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Gas Gauge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stupid Gas Gauge!!!

My DWG has a 5.2 gallon tank (according to the owners manual). After using about 2 1/2 gallons, the damn needle pegs on Empty.

Will a 2 or 3" tank lift help with a more accurate reading or should I look at an aftermarket gas gauge? I realize some just use their odometer but I would like a little more accuracy. Maybe it's just me but using a 1/2 tank of fuel and the gauge reading E is frustrating. Haven't run out of gas but maybe I should put a gallon of gas in one of my saddle bags and run out on purpose to see exactly what the bike can do.

Suggestions?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Tank lift will make it less accurate. The arm with the float on it needs to be bent so that it sits at the proper level. Mine was the same until I swapped tanks at which time the arm was bent and now it is close to accurate. Just go by the odometer. That is what I do as well. NEver trust a motorcycle gas guage. IF you have ever run out of gas on an mc you'll know hat a pain it is to walk it down the freeway to the nearest gas station.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:53 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Have heard of this happening to a few but actually a tank lift would probably make it worse the more level a tank is the more accurate it should be ... Lived for a lot of years on Bikes with no Gauge at all.. My Sportster is real simple 100 miles and best start looking actually start looking at 80 but know am safe til 100 Miles .. Would assume your level indicator is defective.. Love the Gauge on my FLHT and so far is pretty accurate but it's new time will tell if it stays that way..

Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

tank lift screws up the gauge. Also if you have a carb the reserve go near inexistent... I rode my bike to reserve once with the tanklift and filled up with 5 gal of fuel. the tank is a 4.8 gal. tank.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:44 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,635 Posts

My fuel gage seems to be fairly accurate, but I agree with the others, you should never rely on the gauge and instead go by the trip odometer reading to know when it's time to start looking for a gas station.

I usually start looking for a gas station when the trip odometer is at 115 to get refueled...I don't like to wait for the low fuel light to come on...the tank usually takes about 3.3 gals to fill, I reset the trip odometer and I'm good to go.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and switched to the led gauge. The led one isn't that much better either. When you get low on fuel the led's go from blue to red, but jump back & forth between the two so you don't really know for sure anyway. Go by the trip meter. It's you safest bet.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boneyard Blue
My DWG has a 5.2 gallon tank (according to the owners manual). After using about 2 1/2 gallons, the damn needle pegs on Empty.

Will a 2 or 3" tank lift help with a more accurate reading or should I look at an aftermarket gas gauge? I realize some just use their odometer but I would like a little more accuracy. Maybe it's just me but using a 1/2 tank of fuel and the gauge reading E is frustrating. Haven't run out of gas but maybe I should put a gallon of gas in one of my saddle bags and run out on purpose to see exactly what the bike can do.

Suggestions?
I don't have a solution for you but I can tell you AFTER I installed my 2" tank lift, my gauge was even more inaccurate. For me, the best gas gauge is my trip odometer.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
risdo
Road Captain

I ignore the gas gauge.

I use the odometer, like I have for the last 34 years... I top off every 120 miles. Foolproof.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer

Really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions my Harley Bros!

Was considering a tank lift and wasn't sure if I would get an extra benefit with my (and other's) fuel gauge problem.
Probably still going to due a 2" tank lift but guess from the recommendations is that I do the odometer reading thing until China invents an accurate gauge (that's sad).

Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by risdo
I ignore the gas gauge.

I use the odometer, like I have for the last 34 years... I top off every 120 miles. Foolproof.
Good advice The guage on my lowrider hasn't worked since day one 120 to140 miles works fine. Stop, fill up take a leak, works for me

Quick Reply: Stupid Gas Gauge!!!