Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint The Air Cleaner Back Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Halfbuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint The Air Cleaner Back Plate?

I have a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner installed on my Low Rider. It has the die-cast back plate, which I didn't realize would be so visible, even with the big football cover.

I realize that I could switch it out with a chrome back plate, but what about making it black? My bike is black and some of the engine is black. So, it would blend in better. Can I spray paint the plate, or at least the parts that are visible? Maybe even with the wrinkle paint.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Paint The Air Cleaner Back Plate?

No reason not to. Paint or powdercoat, flat, shiny, hammertone, wrinkle - whatever color/style you like.

I just went and looked at mine. I can't really see the backing plate unless I really look for it.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Pauljr
Cruiser

I did paint mine . Using BBQ paint , too easy. I will take a pic and post it .

[IMG]local://upfiles/7456/40A255E1B6B340B2B9433EED4FC14B32.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

Thats a great looking bike, Paul. Nice exhaust!

Old 04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

I haven't switched my A/C to a SE yet but planned to. I also plan to run it without the football and leave the filter exposed like on Paul Jr's bike above, and many others in the forum. I notice his bike and others don't show any oval backing plate, so is there something I don't know about running this setup, cause I don't want a backing plate that is going to show behind my circular A/C cover and filter?

Old 04-17-2006, 02:30 PM
tb2377
Tourer

they do make a black backing plate too. bt i'll try too....if i were to do it all over i would get the black backing plate, gasket and hardware seperately and then get the k&n filter with the cover i have on now, but since i already paid for what i got it doesn't look bad i would just like that set up a little better. you can see the silver cast backing plate witch does look a little funny and i hate the blue and white air filter. i'll probably change it over the winter. for now i ride!!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Halfbuck
Cruiser

The SE filter that came in my kit had black trim, not blue. It's not the K&N filter, though. It's the dry, paper type.

I like the look of running the filter exposed too (no football). Another reason to get the die-cast back plate to blend in better.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to not paint any part of the plate where paint could eventually peel off and get sucked in? Just the parts that show.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be spraying soon!

Old 04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a good idea. I will also be running an open K&N filter with a round lid over the SE backplate. When I get mine back, I'll take a serious look at it. If it's exposed and offends my delicate sensibilities, I'll slather it with some of the black wrinkle paint out of a rattle can.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

All above sounds like the way to go, does anyone ever consider adding K&N's foam filter wrap for added filtration and rain stoppage? I'm talking about their orange/red filter huggers that look almost like beer can sleeves. After reading the article in the intake/exhaust forum and knowing what I know about K&N's the foam outer seems like a decent idea.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

tb2377 i like the AZECE skull cover, the backing plate does kinda give the skull an evil Mickey Mouse ears appearance when I zoom in on some of the photos in your gallery.

Quick Reply: Paint The Air Cleaner Back Plate?