Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem With Bike that Dealer Cant Fix !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Bobber Jay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Bike that Dealer Cant Fix !!!!

Hi all,

Need to pick the brains of all you wrencher's out there.

About 12 months ago after having the Bike for about a year i was riding home and had the dreaded engine warning light come on and stay on !!
Called my dealers who collected the bike and took it in to check it out.
One of the pipes on the hypercharger had perished so a new breather pipe was installed and the bike was fine again i thought.
About 2 months later riding home in bad weather the same thing happened again , Engine warning light , high revving , miss firing , popping etc etc.
Dealers were called , they came and collected , did a diagnostic check and said water had got onto the electrics and had caused the problems , they dried the bike out , road tested it and released it back to me saying it was ok.
3 months later , same again , engine warning light , engine seemed to have a mind of its own , high revs - low revs - popping and backfiring.
Dealers were called , bike collected later that day.
Recieved a phone call from them saying that because i had modified the bike ( 250 rear end) water was getting into the electrics and it was causing the engine management light to come on , in turn causing the bike to run like crap.
After a long argument with the dealer and the mechanic who did the rear end , the bike was once again checked , cleared of faults , water was blamed and i was charged £180 ($250) for the privelage !!
Decided to keep the bike under wraps for the winter so i havent used it since been repaired the last time.
Last weekend we had a glorious Sunday , sky was blue , sun was out but still a bit cold , i thought today i am taking the bike out for a few hours.
About an hour into the ride to my horror , engine warning light appears , bike stalls , then revs high without me even touching the throttle.
Call dealer again who now dont even offer to come and pick the bike up and insist i ride it to them even though it runs like crap.
They are saying its down to water , i am saying NO your talking rubbish , the road was dry , the bike was dry , its hasnt been used since the last time YOU fixed it.
I refuse to ride it to them in the wet as they will use that as an excuse , so as soon as i get a dry day it will be dropped back into the dealer however i dont think they really know what is wrong or how to fix it.

Anybody out there got any idea what this can be.
My indi reckons - stepper motor or Engine management unit is knackered and should be changed.

Bike 2007 Dyna Streetbob.
Stage 1 , V+H shortshots , Kury Hyperchrger which the dealer installed from new.
No other Engine or Electrical mods.

Regards

-=BJ=-

Last edited by Bobber Jay; 01-24-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

only thing that i would imagine would get wet woudl be the wires unless your tire is tossing water into your fuse box.. but what you are saying it is doing sounds like injectors... have you run a diagnostic on it? what codes is she throwing... that is a good spot to start then we can work from there

Old 01-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Bobber Jay
Tourer

Sorry JRK , didnt think about the damn codes.,
At work until later so as soon as i am home i will post the fault codes.

Thanks again

Jason

Old 01-24-2009, 02:14 AM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Codes help for sure..

Sounds like a bad ECM, corroded fuse block or corroded ecm ground or ground junction. Find the ECM, start the engine and tap test the ECM with your finger (not a hammer) if the engine starts wiging out... there ya go.

I'm guessing since the parts i see on EFI models are using GM injectors, idle solenoid and so on... it's probably a GM ECM made in mexico lol

could also be an intermittant crank sensor failure..

Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking throttle position sensor or crank sensor but your wrenches might also be right that the tire mods did throw water into the electrical box and now you're dealing with corrosion in the ecm.
Let us know if it pulls any codes.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi BJ (from just down the road!),

If the bike is under factory warranty can you take it to a different dealer for a second opinion?

There are two dealers in Birmingham, owned by the same firm. Assuming you bought from one of them I can recommend Silverstone, at Towcester. They have only been there a few years, but have a very experienced mechanic who can tackle the unusual. This is the time of the year to get such problems sorted, before the season gets under way again!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,773 Likes on 1,089 Posts

The computer is shot. They are getting bad diagnostic info from the computer because it is the compurter that has called it quits. What has happened if it is a moisture problem is that the epoxy sealant is cracked and allowing moisture into the computer.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense. What I would fight about is if it is even possible the fat tire conversion could in anyway cause that kind of damage.

Keep us updated.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Crank position sensor was what first crossed my mind as well. Let's see if the codes that come out are any good. Maybe that other dealer mentioned might be a good idea.

And yes, these FI bikes utilize the Delphi FI system. GM uses Delphi also.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Bobber Jay
Tourer

Thanks for all the info guys - please keep it coming.
I have just spoken to another dealer in the area where i live and asked his opinion.

There is a little history between me and my dealer that i will explain :

I Bought the bike brand new in March 2007 , i had the complimentary 1000mile service done free at the dealer i bought the bike from with no problems.
Every other mod and part that i have purchased i have gone elsewhere for, as i found it to be a lot cheaper shopping around rather than sticking with my local dealer.

Obviously as and when these faults have occured i have taken it back the dealer i bought the bike from to sort out under warranty but have been fobbed off with some lame excuse and a quick fix , the first EMU fault was because they say i washed my bike and a rubber pipe on the hypercharger had split !!

2nd time was because they say water had gotten into the fuse board. ( we get lots of rain in the UK)

3rd time i have took it back , comments were made about all the additional stuff that has been added to the bike - but not purchased from the dealer , the latest excuse was because of the rear wheel conversion , which they blamed for the last engine warning light been displayed.
Since the last "Repair" in november 2008 i have not used the bike , it has been garaged and undercover , i used the bike once last week on a dry day which is when i got the fault again for the 4th time.

So this morning i have called another HD dealer in the same city i live in and asked the lead technician for his advice.
He has listened to what i have experienced and what the other dealer has told me and i quote "was rubbish" , i will be booking the bike in to the new dealer early next week and will update , i will also post fault codes later this evening once i finish work.

Thanks Again.

-=J=-

Last edited by Bobber Jay; 01-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem With Bike that Dealer Cant Fix !!!!