Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR vs Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the MoCo was trying in 06 with the new Dyna frame to recapture some of what was lost when the old Dyna replaced the FXR. The new Dyna frame is supposed to be considerably stiffer than the frame of the previous Dyna.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let's not leave out the cvo fxr-
Name:  H-D_CVO_fxr3.jpg
Views: 8655
Size:  52.8 KB

cont. from the history of the fxr

The three most important reasons for the emergence of the FXR after a half a decade of sabbatical were:

a. Since the end of the FXR in 1994, the FXR had taken on an entirely unique and reestablished life in the after market world of motorcycles. Many of the best customs were being built on the FXR platform because they were less expensive and more available for “chopping” than any other Harley model. Ever wonder why you don’t see very many FXRT’s or FXRP police bikes any more? They were all chopped into the customs. Same with the FXR Super Glides. As the supply of these dried up then the aftermarket began offering “stock-type”, as well as lowered and stretched versions of the FXR chassis. Build an aftermarket motor and the only one loosing is Harley Davidson.

b. Harley Davidson still had many left over FXR frames available and lying around. EPA was going to make it very difficult to and very expensive process of acquiring EPA “recertification” of the “old chassis” with the “NEW” Twin Cam Engine. Thus once the evo engine was gone so would the FXR chassis.

c. In 1998 Harley Davidson realized they would be loosing a military contract to build the single-cylinder ROTAX-powered motorcycle in York, PA in Building # 42, leaving the availability of a “production line” for such an experiment into a “Custom Vehicle Operations” CVO specialized project. Dan Adams who at the time was the Program Manager for the CVO project, stated that the mission was to provide a “limited-volume, highly accessorized motorcycle to customers who wanted this type of bike.

The specialized FXR models were assembled by teams of two employees each, who kept the necessary parts and tools for the job on push carts. They worked their way through six stations on the line until the bike was fully finished. Adams went on to state that they would have “two people build an entire unit”. “The same two-person team would move from station to station until the bike would be taken off the line. They were able to run the assembly line with one to six (2 person teams) teams at a time. Each team was able to make two bikes a day. According to Jim Hoffman within the Parts and Accessories area of the company addresses the prevailing “rumor” of the day, that Harley Davidson simply had a bunch of unused FXR chassis laying around collecting dust, He goes on to say that the FXR chassis was put back into production along with a number of other FXR components. Essentially the FXR2’s and FXR3’s are mechanically identical to the 1994 version of the FXR with a few upgrades such as a new wiring harness that used the latest type of connectors, a vacuum operated fuel valve, as well as the new nine-plate clutch fitted to the evo.

The following users liked this post:
smiller605 (10-08-2016)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
last saint
Road Master

Originally Posted by dyna mo
the FXRs are larger than life and a great part of the history of the motor company.
Definitely. And I would drop my dyna in a second if they were reintroduced.
One day, when times are better, I hope to put together a twin cam FXR. There are a couple of companies putting these together and from all I've heard, they're absolutely awesome.
I love Dynas....but FXR's are what got me into performance Harleys.

D

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

A friend of mine just finished his fxr with a fi twin cam. He's been talkin about for a while & finally got it done. Next time I see him I'll take a couple pics!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

def. like to see some pics.
got my eye on a chopper guys frame myself

Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
last saint
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2002fxdp
def. like to see some pics.
got my eye on a chopper guys frame myself
The Chopper guys frames are kick ***. Check out Coastline Manufacturing. They build some bad *** FXR's.

D

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Lets not forget one of the holy grails of handling; weight. As long as we're into superlatives, the FXR's weighed a "ton" less than the FXD's; and they achieved their "legendary" handling on skinny front forks. Chassis dynamics are quite complicated...the relationship of rake, trail, weight, tires etc etc. I considered building a twin-cam with an aftermarket frame (I think we'll all agree the twin cam has more performance potential) but figured I'd satisfy myself easier with less hassle by starting with an FXDX suspension platform. I came away very happy with what I've got ('01 FXDXT with a bunch of changes) and have honestly compared it to a lot of other bikes, many of them without HD logos on the tank...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 82 fxr

I actually have a 1982 FXR Superglide II as of right now, I have always loved the bike it was my first bike when I was 19 and still have now at the age of 23 soon to be 24..The handling and everything is pretty nice for an older bike, not a lot of vibration at all for the year it is and it runs good and sounds totally different the all the others on the road *Shovelhead* BTW Here are some pics of an oldie but a goodie...Also my father has an 83 FXR Superglide II, funny story he was supposed to get an 82 with the rally wheels back when he first got his but some guy wanted the 82 with the rally's and my dad got the 83 with the spokes instead

Last edited by EDZ82FXR; 01-25-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

thats funny.
i was thinking of FXDX's too when i read this thread.
specifically your bike sharkey

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics I found when I cleaned her up this summer

Attached Thumbnails FXR vs Dyna?-dscn0633.jpg   FXR vs Dyna?-dscn0634.jpg   FXR vs Dyna?-dscn0635.jpg   FXR vs Dyna?-dscn0636.jpg   FXR vs Dyna?-dscn0641.jpg  

Quick Reply: FXR vs Dyna?