Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR vs Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXR vs Dyna?

I've read on numerous forums various comments about what a great handling bike the FXR was, and how the first Dynas were a step backward in the opinion of many. What about the new Dynas (06 and up)? How do they compare in the handling department to the "legendary" FXR?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 AM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
I've read on numerous forums various comments about what a great handling bike the FXR was, and how the first Dynas were a step backward in the opinion of many. What about the new Dynas (06 and up)? How do they compare in the handling department to the "legendary" FXR?
There's still NO comparison to the great FXR. You can get close with some mods to the dyna's suspension and tweaking to other components, but still, the FXR is KING of well handling in harley land. I hope to build a twin cam FXR in the future...if all goes well.

The following users liked this post:
CheefASRC (01-18-2017)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,096 Likes on 12,852 Posts

The dynas were given a stronger frame and stout 49mm forks in 06 which made them better.Some riders complain about a bit of flexing when pushed hard.It seems though that those who have installed the true-track and premium shocks are well satified with the handling,that along with the wide tire kit will be my next mod.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
The dynas were given a stronger frame and stout 49mm forks in 06 which made them better.Some riders complain about a bit of flexing when pushed hard.It seems though that those who have installed the true-track and premium shocks are well satified with the handling,that along with the wide tire kit will be my next mod.
So the FXR having 2 stabilizers vs the Dyna's 1 prevented the wobble at the limit that some Dyna riders encounter?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM
humbuster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased a new FXR Superglide in 1993 - great bike, near flawless operation.
Due to financial pressures, sold it in 1998 (for same price as new).

Returned to riding 2 years ago, started again on a 1200L. Sold it this past fall and purchased an 09 FXDC last week.

They Dyna is comfortable, however I remember the FXR being less top heavy with quicker handlling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Dyna, but the motor company really got it right with the FXR frame.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by humbuster
Purchased a new FXR Superglide in 1993 - great bike, near flawless operation.
Due to financial pressures, sold it in 1998 (for same price as new).

Returned to riding 2 years ago, started again on a 1200L. Sold it this past fall and purchased an 09 FXDC last week.

They Dyna is comfortable, however I remember the FXR being less top heavy with quicker handlling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Dyna, but the motor company really got it right with the FXR frame.
Wow, if you find the Dyna top heavy, the Sporster must have been a real handful for you.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,096 Likes on 12,852 Posts

So the FXR having 2 stabilizers vs the Dyna's 1 prevented the wobble at the limit that some Dyna riders encounter?
I have read many posts from people who installed stabilizers and they were all positive.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FXR had a totally different frame that didn't have the problem that Dynas do (swingarm mounted to non-rigid component), so it didn't have the wallow issue [edit:to the extent that Dynas do] that the stabilizers address. I like the lean looks of the Dynas better, but the FXR was functionally superior.

Last edited by Dawg Rider; 01-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
The FXR had a totally different frame that didn't have the problem that Dynas do (swingarm mounted to non-rigid component), so it didn't have the wallow issue that the stabilizers address. I like the lean looks of the Dynas better, but the FXR was functionally superior.
So what did the swingarm mount to on the FXR? To the frame itself?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

So what did the swingarm mount to on the FXR? To the frame itself?
No. The set up is similar to the touring models, with the swingarm mounted on the rear of the gearbox and two stabilizer links, front and top. I suspect an FXR would benefit from a third rear link, but haven't seen any kits.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has ridden an FXR alongside a Dyna with stabilizers!

Quick Reply: FXR vs Dyna?