Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porthole Derby Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 PM
jazziz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porthole Derby Cover

Bought a Chrome Porthole Derby Cover to put onto my Street Bob. The problem is that the new gaskets are not an "O ring" but a "full" gasket. So if I install that you can't see through the porthole into the primary. Does anyone know if I cut a hole in the gasket will it allow oil to leak out of the derby cover? Derby cover: http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0887.html The new derby cover is flat but I'm not sure if there is a recess in mount for the OEM derby cover and how this will affect the seal?

Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Porthole Derby Cover

Sorry I can't answer your question....but I will say....that is really cool lookin. I wish I had seen that before I bought the flames HD derby cover!

Todd

Old 04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem while putting a skull derby cover on mine, I just found a round gasket and for the holes that didn't match I used a hole punch, you know the kind you use on notebook paper? It worked.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
rickshog
Tourer

If you get a pre 06' dyna gasket and cut out the middle you will be fine
Rick

Old 04-21-2006, 06:33 PM
SDMF
Road Warrior

I replaced my Street Bob derby with the crinkle black one from Harley, but I can tell you regardless if you drill a hole in the gasket or not, you will still not see the fluid level in your primary. If you put your bike on a lift and remove the stock cover, the fluid level will be below the bottom of the derby cover hole. Personally, I think the derby you bought is awesome looking and I would not punch a hole in the gasket. It will appear black behind the window and if you punch a hole in the gasket you will almost certainly develop a leak around the cover when it's resting on the stand.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

plaese post pics when u install it .that looks cool.good taste

Old 04-21-2006, 09:56 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

SDMF- Now that is a clever avatar.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 PM
jazziz
Novice

Done. Cut the gasket with a pair of safety scissors and look Mom, no leaks: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3...2672img5nk.jpg

This is with the bike running:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9...2669img7ac.jpg

Old 04-26-2006, 03:21 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bike looks great! I really like that cover...Just one suggestion. I would replace those orange turn signal covers with clear..or smoked. Orange just doesn't fit on your particular bike..especially with the red and white graphics. Despite my comments...it's one of the best looking bobs I've seen. Nice job

Todd

Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 PM
jazziz
Novice

Thanks veniculum for the hint. Actually I've thought about the smoked ones or maybe red ones. I just haven't gotten there yet. I'm still in line for detachable docking kit (B/O here in Canada -39) at which point I can mount my red bobber passenger seat and sissy bar (of course with the red devils head) or detachable saddle bags. I'm also interested in an after market seat that looks cool and can stand some long hauling. I generally put 20,000 miles a year on my bikes so I need something that's butt friendly. Anyone seen what the narrow Mastang soslo seat looks like on the Bob? Here's a very dark picture of the sissy bar mocked up on the bike:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1...2683img7ck.jpg

Quick Reply: Porthole Derby Cover