Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Side Plates for Back Rest

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Side Plates for Back Rest

09 FXD - I'm getting ready to buy and install everything I need to get my wife on the back of the bike. I have a few tools (set of torx bits/drivers, set of open end wrenches), but thats about it. I haven't even had time to by a shop manual.
How much of a PAI is it to install the side plates (fixed, not removeable)? I see the turn signals being an obsticle, but will the shocks need to be dealt with? I know I need a shop manual, just haven't seen one yet for the 09.

TIA

Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can install the side plates without a service manual (and I always recommend people buy one!).

The biggest issue is that the rear tire gets in the way of removing the back bolts. The bolts are fed from inside the fender. Best option is to lift the bike and set the shocks to the softest setting. If you can't lift the bike, you can deflate the rear tire to get the necessary clearance to remove the bolts. If you can't deflate the rear, you can get a buddy to pull up on the rear fender (my method). It was a pain to do it while on the side stand, but it can be done.

There is a notch in the side plates for your turn signal wiring. Watch that you don't pinch your wires and you'll be fine.

Post questions if you get stuck somewhere in the process.

Good luck!

J

Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
midlife rider
Tourer

Quick question - why fixed instead of detachable? I like being able to pop the backrest every now and then and just bum around town. Have fun!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
compgeek789
Tourer

Fixed look cleaner, in my opinion. They mount under the strut covers, as opposed to mounting on the outside.

Rigid plates can be modified to be detachable, too. Just gotta notch out the bolt holes. Then all it takes is loosening the bolts a little and you can lift the plates right out.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on the notched ridgid ones.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Grind
Road Master

+2 on the notched rigid. T45 torx and ½" wrench to loosen the bolts. I use some thin plastic cutting sheets from the kitchen (don't tell my wife!) to protect the fender when installing and removing.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Thumbs up Thanks Everyone!

Originally Posted by compgeek789
You can install the side plates without a service manual (and I always recommend people buy one!).

The biggest issue is that the rear tire gets in the way of removing the back bolts. The bolts are fed from inside the fender. Best option is to lift the bike and set the shocks to the softest setting. If you can't lift the bike, you can deflate the rear tire to get the necessary clearance to remove the bolts. If you can't deflate the rear, you can get a buddy to pull up on the rear fender (my method). It was a pain to do it while on the side stand, but it can be done.

There is a notch in the side plates for your turn signal wiring. Watch that you don't pinch your wires and you'll be fine.

Post questions if you get stuck somewhere in the process.

Good luck!

J
Thanks J, and everyone else that responded. And the notching is a good tip.

-Andy

Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Quick question - why fixed instead of detachable?
Once it goes on, chances are good it won't be coming off. I'm always carrying something and have a T-Bag for the sissy bar, and although I have a small set of throwover saddlebags that fit perfectly on the Dyna, I'm just not a fan of them. I still haven't decided on the style of sissy bar, but it will probably be something that will look good without a pillion or padded backrest, similar to J's (compgeek789).