Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
TMace
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Destroyed

Screws came out of the rotor this weekend and completely destroyed the alternator, what a mess, copper windings everywhere. Apperantly this happens so often there's a kit. Local dealer wants $335, did a search and Zanottis wants $200. Same part number 40356-06B. Question: how is Zanottis on shipping? Neither my local stealer or Zanottis have this in stock. Any other recommendations on where to get the parts? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
gipsl67
Advanced

My guess would be somewhere around $20 for shipping. Alot cheaper than $335.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some that have experience the stator/rotor self-destruction have gone with aftermarket replacements which are also one piece units and cheaper. Hopefully some of these guys will chime in.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
TMace
Cruiser

That's kind of what I was hoping to find. I'll tell ya what, if I have to stick a Harly rotor back in there those bolts will not back out in the future! I'll tack weld them if I have to!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMace
Screws came out of the rotor this weekend and completely destroyed the alternator, what a mess, copper windings everywhere. Apperantly this happens so often there's a kit. Local dealer wants $335, did a search and Zanottis wants $200. Same part number 40356-06B. Question: how is Zanottis on shipping? Neither my local stealer or Zanottis have this in stock. Any other recommendations on where to get the parts? Thanks!
How many miles on bike? been calling dealers and they say the stator is not two piece and havnt had any of them go bad. can you get pics of your old stator?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
How many miles on bike? been calling dealers and they say the stator is not two piece and havnt had any of them go bad. can you get pics of your old stator?
You need to stop using Harley Davidson Dealers as a resource for information about Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

The 06s and some early 07s (I believe) had two piece units. A bunch of them have failed as the bolts back out. Newer models use a welded unit.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
You need to stop using Harley Davidson Dealers as a resource for information about Harley Davidson Motorcycles.

The 06s and some early 07s (I believe) had two piece units. A bunch of them have failed as the bolts back out. Newer models use a welded unit.
Is there any early warnings of this befor it self destructs? Should i just go a head and pull the primary apart now befor it happens? I have 22k on it now and havnt had any charging issues yet. its a 2006 FXDI.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
TMace
Cruiser

I am trying to attach a couple of pics we will see how this comes out. The Stator is one piece but the Rotor is two pieces held together by 8 allen head screws. The heads of the screws are facing the stator when assembled. I find it hard to believe that this thing just exploded all at once, I think it had to be progressive and by the looks of it it probably was. When it happened I was pulling into a parking lot when all of a sudden I heard a slight grinding noise coming from the forward primary followed immediatly by the check eng light and batt light. I immediatly shut it down and coasted to a stop. I made a phone call got home to my truck and brought my trailer back then pushed it on and took it home. In hind sight for the past 5000 miles or so I have been hearing a very slight ringing noise from the front of the motor. This sound was not evident at idle and you really had to listen for it at speed. I just thought it might be in the valve train somewhere but it may have been a couple of the screws that were starting to back out. Bike has about 25000 miles on it now and knowing what I know now I would take it apart and check the screws before this happens. I had no charging issues before hand. It does not appear any type of lock tight was used from the factory but I will at least use the red locktight when I reassemble. I am considering tack welds with the mig as long as it will not damage the magnets in the rotor.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator Destroyed-stator.jpg   Alternator Destroyed-rotor.jpg   Alternator Destroyed-parts.jpg   Alternator Destroyed-more-parts.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Was the rotor damaged any? Just the stator? Can i check the rotor just by removing the outer primary cover or do i have to remove the chain and everything to inspect? or should i just go ahead and tare it down and lock tight the screws?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by jmpancoast

your right about that,dealers here say they never heard of crank failures,i"be thru 2. my 06 dyna stator came apart,dealer relaced it with a updated welded one,all are welded mid 07 up. first crank twisted less than 100 miles after the stator came apart, dealer warranted the stator but not the crank, dealer and moco said once i put in cams engine warranty was voided.

Quick Reply: Alternator Destroyed