Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT and O2 Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 PM
wideglide06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT and O2 Sensor Problems

A surging and hard starting condition was discovered after purchase in December 2005 with my 2006 Dyna Wide Glide. The surging has always been right off idle to approximately 2000 RPM (steady RPM).

1). Installed 25 Degree Injectors – Stock Exhaust and AC, Injectors help starting
2). Installed SEII, SE AC and Stage 1 ECM Map – No help with surging
3). Installed Python Dual Staggered and SERT Rev E 141NX104 Map – Some Help
4). Installed Vance & Hines Quiet Baffles – Surging went away for about 50 miles - Came back

5). The next step was to get the bike Dyno Tuned after the 1000 mile service and end this problem. I took the bike to another HD dealer who has Dyno tuning equipment. They had my bike for ten working days for the Dyno Tuning. They delivered my bike yesterday after noon with apologies that they could not tune out the surging problems. The techs at the dealer said they have been working with the motor company to correct the problem. From what I understand, the factory admitted they have a problem with the SERT and or the 2006 Dyna Models, in particular the 02 sensors. The problem as explained is the O2 sensors are activity right off idle, in someway this confuses the ECM at that RPM range and throttle position. The ECM does not know whether to lean or richen the mixture (AFR), thus creating the surging problem. This condition exists even when the AFR Table cells are set at or below 14.6 to 1 and the Closed Loop Bias Table has no affect.

6). Throttle Position Sensor Inspected and Tested – No Problems

The motor company said the SERT Rev E software is obsolete. They are working on a new revision for the 2007 model year bikes to correct problems discovered on the 06 Dyna Models. The dealer also said the new revision may or may not fix my problem.

I am very discouraged with EFI and O2 sensor problems on my 06 DWGI. This technology is supposed to be the greatest. In my opinion, the system is poorly engineered and not tested thoroughly before production. This turned out to be a very expensive science project for me. I have purchase three new Harley Davidson Motorcycles (carbureted) in the past 15 years and have never experienced this type of frustration and cost.

Therefore, the moral to this situation, do not expect the SERT and Dyno Tuning to fix all problems encountered with the 2006 Dyna Models. On the other hand, maybe the Power Commander is the way to go because it disables the O2 sensors. I do not know!

Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
JonHanna
Road Master
Default RE: SERT and O2 Sensor Problems

What a bitch the Dyna's had to get the closed loop standard first. And I totally agree with you on the not enough testing before it ended up in the public hands.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:31 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Some guys were talking about installing the Terry components terminal velocity unit but I didn't
see any reports after install.
That unit uses the 02 sensors 100% of the time, true closed loop like your car. Supposedly
this unit adjusts for all mods and writes it's own MAP. I'm leaning in this direction cause I don't
want to pay anyone to tweak my stuff. MSRP is around $500 but sells for $400.
I was wondering why my dealer installs power commanders and not the SERT.

http://www.terrycomp.com/tv.html

Old 04-22-2006, 06:51 PM
cajunrider
Stage III

I have an O6 Low Rider, had the hard starting problem and the surging problem from the first mile. Dealer was prompt in installing the 25 degree injectors which helped the starting issue but did little for the surging. I had a 95" build with SEAC, SE Pro Pipes, and machined heads and the SERT. Bike runs strong but it surges from about 1800 rpm to just over 3000rpm. Talked to the mechanic this morning, not much response yet. He said he can tune out the O2 sensors but it remains to be seen. He is off for a week of training on just this issue in Florida and hopes he can better address the issue when he returns. I'll let you know if I have any more success than you have had.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:59 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you do a print screen or copy/paste the o2 Sensor Bias table, the VE front and rear tables and the A/F table? A slight tweek should cure this....for good. I want to see just what you got charged for and how good they are. Also, e-mail me that modified map, I'd like to tweek it and send it back to you. fl_799@yahoo.com

Thats why I do my own tuning on bikes and cars. It gets done right every time, all of the time.

The problem is not the sert. It is the map and the tuning. You have to disable closed loop mode in the 20 map range to cure this plus a few other tweeks that you can't do unless you drive and tune. 'Aint gonna cure all the worlds ailments on the dyno.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM
ROADTRAIN
Road Captain

The Dynas we get in Australia are not fitted with 02 sensors, when I picked the bike up it had no problems like you discribe. It come with 8 deg injectors and was running lean. After I installed a set of slip ons the lean condition was noticable but no surging. I have since installed a sert but had to load a map for an 06 softail due to our Dynas not having 02 sensors the bike is now running fine. You could try a softail map and see what happens, you may have to unplug your 02 sensors. If it dosen't work go back to your original map.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got a copy of WideGlide06's modified map and made a few simple changes.

Closed loop was still enabled just off throttle (20 map) between 1250 and 1750 RPM. I lowered these values down to 14.2:1 open loop mode. This should eliminate the surging at those speeds and clean things up big time. The tuners also did not modify the acceleration enrichment table which is an easy performance kick in the pants and totally free! This was addressed and slightly bumped up. Also added one increment to the closed bias table to slightly richen up the closed loop cruise mode.

If this does not totally cure the surging, we can lower the A/F another 10th and/or raise the VE tables at that 20 map range 2 increments.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:08 AM
rde
Road Captain

This tread again points out the difficulty us 06 Dyna owners have with EFI tuners. I am glad to hear some contributors to the forum have the expertise to fully understand the nuances of closed loop sensors and tuning their EFI twin cams. Unfortunately most of us simply don't have that knowledge and we are trusting someone else to tune our bikes. As Wideglide06 points out even someone supposedly experienced with SERT tuning didn't fully understand the closed loop 02 sensors and how they affect the EFI.

I don't really know what the answer is to this vexing and continuing problem. I for one decided to simply eliminate the 02 sensors and go with a PC III for now. This is a step backwards to be sure, but the bike runs. I have no idea what tuner I may be using down the road - SERT, Daytona Twin Tech, Terry Components. Somebody is going to get it right sooner or later.

I would really like to see a list of experienced tuners generated by this forum. I think in another 12-18 months most of the problems will be worked out and owners can be more confident in their choice of a tuner knowing that when they get their bikes dyno'd the finished result will be worth it. Unfortunately alot of us own 06 Dynas and we want a good ride now. I think the 06 Dynas are great bikes with some excellent features, and I would buy mine again in a heartbeat. I just don't think we have enough experienced tuners out there who know how to use the SERT for the 06 Dynas IMHO.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:20 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I am definitely waiting until winter to do my mods now.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a delivery date of may 26 for a 2006 wide glide. Would you say that by now mine would be sent with the 25 style injectors??

Quick Reply: SERT and O2 Sensor Problems