Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Exhaust...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
sfetty
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Bob Exhaust...again

Just bought my wife an 08 Denim Black Fat Bob. I absolutely love the way it drives and its style. Well all but one thing. It needs to be louder. The former owner left the stock exhaust on it.

I love the "Tommy Gun" exhausts looks and hate to remove the styling. Has anybody added slip o mufflers to it and how much did it help? Had my eye on some Rush with custom tips to match the head pipe cut outs. But I don't know if they would satisfy me on sound.

I have V&H Big Radius on my FXDSE. I know the slip ons won't be as loud, but I want traffic to clearly hear her.

Also, what is your experiences on fuel packs, fuel managment systems, whatever Are they necessary for slip on mufflers and do you need a high flow air filter?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

I went with the SERT for fuel management and got it mapped on the dyno at the dealer but I'm sure that is not the most efficient thing to do.

Lots of folks have used the SE slip ons and Rush slip ons and I think the general feeling is the Rush sound best. I am sure you'd be satisfied.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Screamin' Eagle slip-ons and love them. Louder than most report here . . . great rumbling tone, not too loud, but you'll be heard. I put them on, did nothing else, and the bike runs great (got a small performance boost I think).

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
TheOak
Cruiser

RUSH slip ons 2.0" will give you good sound and no SERT is required. A 30 minute fix to the stock sound.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 AM
treborhunt
Novice

I liked the look of the tommy gun also but to quite indeed. Also the cut outs let so much heat out that my leg was burning if i was stuck in traffic.
I considered slip ons>> But went with VH Big radius. Got them from dennis kirk for 550. Also added a heavy breather and PC5 which i am very happy with. The sound is great....cruising they are just right and wind the throttle and they get loud.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sfetty
Just bought my wife an 08 Denim Black Fat Bob. I absolutely love the way it drives and its style. Well all but one thing. It needs to be louder. The former owner left the stock exhaust on it.

I love the "Tommy Gun" exhausts looks and hate to remove the styling. Has anybody added slip o mufflers to it and how much did it help? Had my eye on some Rush with custom tips to match the head pipe cut outs. But I don't know if they would satisfy me on sound.

I have V&H Big Radius on my FXDSE. I know the slip ons won't be as loud, but I want traffic to clearly hear her.

Also, what is your experiences on fuel packs, fuel managment systems, whatever Are they necessary for slip on mufflers and do you need a high flow air filter?
I have had big radius and rush slipons.... get the 2" baffled rush slipons... she will be heard by traffic just fine.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 AM
sven5145
Intermediate

I had the exact same concern.... think the look of the pipes is a key part of the bike but too damn quiet. HD just came out with blacked out exhaust shields for the stock pipes. Couple this with some black rush slip-ons and you're GTG. Blacked out look and kickin noise.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
sfetty
Road Captain

Thanks for all the info guys! Sure saves a lot of $ guessing. Might drive it myself a few days before I do anything to see how bad the heat out of the cut-outs feels.

Anybody else have trouble with the heat? If so I wonder if I could remove the shields and add heat tape, then reinstall??

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

Originally Posted by sfetty
Thanks for all the info guys! Sure saves a lot of $ guessing. Might drive it myself a few days before I do anything to see how bad the heat out of the cut-outs feels.

Anybody else have trouble with the heat? If so I wonder if I could remove the shields and add heat tape, then reinstall??
The heat is a problem in heavy traffic during the summer, but almost welcome in colder weather...lol

I thought about doing a wrap under the heat shield too, but I worry about heat dissipation from the rear cylinder which gets hotter than the front anyways. Which if you think about it, might by as much of a reason as styling for the slotted heat shield only in the rear anyways....?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Shizims
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to put V&H sideshots on my Fat Bob... I have Rush 2.0 slip-ons on her now, I thought about keeping them, but I'm not really sure... I might want to put them up for sale. They only have about 8k miles on them so they are nice and broken in...

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Exhaust...again