Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To spray or not to spray...???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
crsowa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To spray or not to spray...???

Well, I finished wrapping my pipes yesterday and they are in the basement drying as I type... I bought some High temp silicon spray also, but did not spray it on yet. so My question is:

Do you have to spray the wrapped pipes, or not? I already have them wrapped and wired... just wanted some opinions and maybe some past experiences... good and bad... sprayed vs. not sprayed... Spray before or after wire? I like the way they look right now, and I'm sure the spray won't change too much..

Here's how they look now...

Thanks guys.

Last edited by crsowa; 03-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have already sprayed the wrap leave em alone . looks good. I love the wrap that Last Saint has done. That safety wire wrap is a great look and very functional also. a win win ya ask me.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

i dont know much about wrapping pipes, but i know them look badass

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
crsowa
Tourer

Thanks. I wired them already, but didn't spray them yet... I just want to know if i need to spray them, and if I do, do I need to take the wire off first?... then re wire it...

Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
jefx
Tourer

The paint will keep them gray/black for longer. If you don't spray them, they will turn white from heat.

Even if you do spray them, they will still fade over time, but not as quickly.

Make sure you use the right paint. The stuff I used was made especially for pipe wrap. I got the wrap and matching spray at summitracing.com

Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Over a few thousand miles the wrap will probably fade to a tan color. I didn't spray my wrap when I first did it, but decided to after it faded. If you like the way it looks now, leave it. You can always spray it later. High quality wrap may not fade (as fast).

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
jefx
Tourer

Originally Posted by crsowa
Thanks. I wired them already, but didn't spray them yet... I just want to know if i need to spray them, and if I do, do I need to take the wire off first?... then re wire it...
That's up to you. The paint I used wasn't like normal paint. It's very thin and doesn't stick well to metal. It won't make your wiring black, but it may tint it a bit to a gray or dark gray.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
crsowa
Tourer

Originally Posted by jefx
That's up to you. The paint I used wasn't like normal paint. It's very thin and doesn't stick well to metal. It won't make your wiring black, but it may tint it a bit to a gray or dark gray.
I bought the black DEI High temp silicon spray for exhaust wrap..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want them to fade spray em, other wise leave it alone. I've done it both ways. My current wrap job is natural tan it's faded some but I like the way it looks.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

if you bought the black paint then DONT spray your wired pipes now - itll f up the whole point of you wiring them
i had a wrap job without any spray and it didnt last long, but it was sh*tty J&P wrap - went with DEI wrap this time and I probably didnt need to spray, but I did, and it changes the whole look of the wrap

Id opt to just leave as is and run em - great job on the wire!

Quick Reply: To spray or not to spray...???