Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 AM
jbied
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch wiring

It seems i can't do anything on this bike without running into a problem. I'm moving the ignition switch to the console of my 07 Streetbob. I have the new wires running to the console. I first hooked them up according to the manual which would be A- red/black B- Red C- red/grey but i got nothing coming on. I saw the post by Walterwinbag on wiring the ignition. I tried what i belive was his way A- open B- Red C- red/black and red/grey still nothing. I checked the red to red/black with a voltmeter and i'm getting 12volts. So i would assume i'm still doing something wrong. My switch is part#71313-96a. The only thing i saw was that the switch was marked A B I, instead of A B C. I tried it with red at B with the others at A and I with nothing.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how I wired mine:

Check your fuses.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 03-15-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM
jbied
Advanced

Do you have the same switch as i do? I tried wiring it that way and i didn't get anything....no lights....nothing.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
amish
Road Captain

i guess try a new switch. if you are looking to do this mod i would just use the same switch everyone else is using. i got mine from drag i think. $25.
i could just be the switch isnt compatable with your bike

Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
jbied
Advanced

I bought this one to be keyed to match my bike so i could still use it with the fork lock and not have to have 2 keys. Installed the same way as jmpancoast i get nothing. Checkong with the meter i get 12V between B and A and 12V between B and C at all times, no matter what key position the switch is in. So if i'm getting 12V between everything, why am i not getting lights ao anything? I should be able to use this switch. I bought it following one of the members on the forum that made the mod to there bike and used that switch.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default New Switch

Take a multimeter and see if you have continuity between A & B with the switch off and then on. If you don't have continuity with the switch turned on, it's a bad switch. CHECK YOUR FUSES.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure, but unless they reversed the switch from 05 to 07 you have the Ignition (R/BK) and Accessory (R/GY) backwards in the pic above.
Battery does go to the center post.
Check for continuity between the center post and the other 2, if you have continuity between them with the switch off, that is wrong, they should have it only when the switch is in Accessory or Ignition position for the respective post.
Based on what you describe, it does sound like a bad switch, you should not have voltage at all times between any of the posts.
How are you connecting the meter, between the posts, or post to ground?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

06 FXDWG/FXD35 Wiring Diagram

Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Please let is know if it works. I gather you are using a Harley switch? I plan to do this on my 07 FXD, and like the idea of one key.

thx

greg

Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
jbied
Advanced

Everything is working now. I opened up the switch to look inside, and when i did a sliver of metal fell out. One of the inside edges were rough like it hadn't been deburred real well. I cleaned it up, threw it back together, and everything works great. Thanks for everyones help.

Quick Reply: ignition switch wiring