Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:13 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Help!

Got a pair of bullet rear signal lights coming in the mail today or tomorrow. They simply just mount on to where my current lights are. But as I don't know crap about crap when it comes to mechanical items, I need to know how simple it is to change out.

Is there is a simple plug on the wiring? Do i need to cut and rewire at all? need to disconnect the battery?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on changing without relocating. Just want to know what I'm getting into before I open the box.

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

It's been a while since I replaced mine, but from what I remember HD had connectors on the ends of their turn signal wiring. You had to use a pick or so to take them apart properly. I just snipped em' because I soldered the new ones on and used the heat shrink wrap to cover the joint. Maybe someone who did theirs recently can add more to this.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Turn Signals

The originals ones plug into the tail light so you got to unplug them first. The plugs will not go through the stalks they are mounted on. You didn't mention if your new ones had stalks or not. If you are going to use the old ones you will have to take the plug off to get the wiring out. They are kind off a pain but a paper clip or good tiny screwdriver will get the pins out. Do you have a maintenance manual ?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:57 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
The originals ones plug into the tail light so you got to unplug them first. The plugs will not go through the stalks they are mounted on. You didn't mention if your new ones had stalks or not. If you are going to use the old ones you will have to take the plug off to get the wiring out. They are kind off a pain but a paper clip or good tiny screwdriver will get the pins out. Do you have a maintenance manual ?
No manual.

I got these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KURYA...1%7C240%3A1318

Do I need to unplug the battery then? Obviously, I suppose.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Turn Signals

Those look like they just mount on the fender struts or strut covers. You might want to get the pins out of the plugs on the stock signals. The pic on ebay doesn't show any wiring at all so it's hard to say. If they come with bare wires hanging out you will have to install pins and the plugs to make it work on your bike. That's why I would try to save the original plugs. You will have to go to your local dealer for the pins and for the plugs if you mess them up. Keep us posted on your progress... BTW a factory service manual is a must have for working on your bike. I would take the negative battery lead loose and pull the main 40 amp fuse ( it's the biggest one ).

Last edited by dyna rider; 03-30-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
sonetpro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to need a load equalizer for the LED's or they won't work correctly.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by sonetpro
You are going to need a load equalizer for the LED's or they won't work correctly.
Ah crap, thanks for telling me.

They just came in the mail, and they will be PERFECT on the bike for what I need when I get them on.

And how would I get/install a load equalizer???

Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Those look like they just mount on the fender struts or strut covers. You might want to get the pins out of the plugs on the stock signals. The pic on ebay doesn't show any wiring at all so it's hard to say. If they come with bare wires hanging out you will have to install pins and the plugs to make it work on your bike. That's why I would try to save the original plugs. You will have to go to your local dealer for the pins and for the plugs if you mess them up. Keep us posted on your progress... BTW a factory service manual is a must have for working on your bike. I would take the negative battery lead loose and pull the main 40 amp fuse ( it's the biggest one ).
Yeah, it's the bare wires at the end of the cords. I'm thinking the more and more I try to do it myself will just = more $$$, but we'll see. ...

Old 03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Epic Fail = DSnoopy not having tools needed to work on his own bike! LOL

Still in process. The lights came in the mail, and do look really sharp, and I think are a visual upgrade to the stock sigs. A freezing garage did not help the process that much either.

I'll post some picks when completed. I mean, it's not as nice as a chrome passenger bracket bolt, but it's still pretty nice.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

can you solder? have access to a radio shack to pick one up pretty cheap? i would cut the lines from your tail light and solder the new ones in... you can add a resister there or you can get the plug in set up... i always make my own. if you do a search on google it will talk you right through how to make your own resisters... but it breaks down to soldering man... that is the only way to get a reliable conection that will not get all torn up

Quick Reply: Electrical Help!