Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unreliable jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Never had that happen. I'm a little OCD about it though; every time I put the stand down I give it an extra kick once the full weight of the bike is on it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM
pchrcane65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I had a recall on my 09 lowrider for the jiffy stand just had it replace 2 weeks ago.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:11 AM
wolfydude
Cruiser

Read the following in another USA Harley forum,but the recall was for a UK Harley,maybe this will help
Wolfy

'09 Model Dyna Jiffy Stand Recall No:0137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a recall letter from HD concerning '09 Model Dyna FXD,FXDF,FXDC,FXDL & FXDB motorcycles built July 24,2008 through Aug.28,2008. Its about the jiffy stand Spring Anchor, Part No: 47318-98, which may have been built with a defective weld that may allow the jiffy stand assembly to not retract as intended. Has anyone else out there got this recall yet?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Why do they call it a "jiffy" stand? Never heard that on any bike other than HD.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
08FXDC
Road Master

I havent had this issue, my stand always makes me nervous, the angle just looks wrong. I usually put my foot on the jiffy stand and pull the bike backwards just to make sure!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jiffy Shmiffy, I call it a kickstand! You guys who are concerned about the stand should take a tour of the KC assembly plant! When I worked there, no one was allowed to pick a bike up off the stand. In order to move the bikes around in the crating area, you had to leave the weight of the bike on the stand and just start pushing. The first few days I watched in horror as someone would go up to a bike and just give it a big ol' shove in order to move it up the line. There goes this bike sliding along by itself 10-12 feet at a time while resting on the KICKstand. Crazy $hit!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Why do they call it a "jiffy" stand? Never heard that on any bike other than HD.
I've heard them called kick stands and jiffy stands on all makes, I think it has to do with where you are.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
obonaven
Road Master

I think it has something to do with the fact that it is quicker to get the bike ready to go then it would be on a center stand.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry - just you. You're probably not pushing/holding it all the way forward when you lean the bike over - I sorta hold it forward with my foot until the full weight of the bike is on it; then pull back to make sure its "set". I'd probably be too embarrassed to to take it in and have it checked....especially if there ends up being nothing wrong with it (which is highly likely) and I did it TWICE - but given you seem to be having problems with it - you might want to think about taking it to someone to have a look just in case. Be prepared to endure a fair amount of eye rolling and veiled laughter though.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 PM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by obonaventure
I think it has something to do with the fact that it is quicker to get the bike ready to go then it would be on a center stand.

Here ya go: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_Harley-Davidson_call_the_side_kickstand_a_'jiffy_stand'_i n_the_owner's_manual

Quick Reply: Unreliable jiffy stand