Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unreliable jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:50 PM
jasper9652
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be at all afraid of anyone rolling there eyes at me. An 09 is under factory warranty and if you decide to take it into the dealer to be checked out.... do it!!!! If some f*** head at the dealer did that to me it would be the last time he/she did!!!! My $0.02 Mike

Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just keep my foot on it until it's leaned all the way over, lock the forks and it's done.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wolfydude
Read the following in another USA Harley forum,but the recall was for a UK Harley,maybe this will help
Wolfy

'09 Model Dyna Jiffy Stand Recall No:0137

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a recall letter from HD concerning '09 Model Dyna FXD,FXDF,FXDC,FXDL & FXDB motorcycles built July 24,2008 through Aug.28,2008. Its about the jiffy stand Spring Anchor, Part No: 47318-98, which may have been built with a defective weld that may allow the jiffy stand assembly to not retract as intended. Has anyone else out there got this recall yet?
I just read about this today. If it helps, the NHTSA recall No. is 08V659000

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
hanksvtx
Stage I
Default unreliable Jiffy Stand

My 2009 Night Rod Special fell over with less than 400 miles on it. Stand was all the way out bike was in gear and on a very slight incline in Front of Goe Harley Davidson Front wheel was turned to the left. Put down the stand and pulled back on it seemed locked. got off and had my back to it when it fell. As The service department to look at it and repair the damage and they said they had never heard of a problem with the jiffy stands. It took them about 10 minutes before they could get it to lock down and then blamed it on a pice of seashell. i never got to see the sea shell.
I now pull back and then with the weight on the stand push forward to see if it is locked. No more problems.
First time in over 40 years of riding i ever had a bike to fall off the stand. Harley Service left a bad taste in my mouth when they told me to take it back to the dealer i bought from over 100 miles away.!
Sorry for the long rant.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Default Ignorance or carelessness

Mine fell over from pure ignorance (or carelessness) with less than 100 mile on it. I never pushed the stand all the way forward because I didn’t think I needed to (hence, the ignorance). I haven’t dropped it since that first 100 miles either.

The Dyna stands don’t lock. Since yours does, that may have been the reason it folded up and your bike fell over.

Those first scratches really suck but you aren’t alone! At least half of us have seen our bikes laying on the ground.

I checked out your bike on the HD site. Very nice looking ride!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DGDyna
Mine fell over from pure ignorance (or carelessness) with less than 100 mile on it. I never pushed the stand all the way forward because I didn’t think I needed to (hence, the ignorance). I haven’t dropped it since that first 100 miles either.

The Dyna stands don’t lock. Since yours does, that may have been the reason it folded up and your bike fell over.

Those first scratches really suck but you aren’t alone! At least half of us have seen our bikes laying on the ground.

I checked out your bike on the HD site. Very nice looking ride!
what do mean Dyna stands don't lock, my '07 has a notch the stand locks into when down

Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry - this is just you being careless. Ensure the stand is down and keep your toe on it until the entire weight of the motorcycle is on the stand.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dyna-Asa
what do mean Dyna stands don't lock, my '07 has a notch the stand locks into when down
Nope. I brought my bike, '09 SG, to work so I just ran out to take a look. My buddy held it up and I pulled the stand up and down.

The only thing that keeps that stand down is that the thing the spring is hooked to under the frame is about 1/2" forward of the jiffy stand stop. This cause the spring to bend (as opposed to stretching), pulling the stand forward and keeping it down.

There is nothing else that keeps the stand down.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know there have been a couple of times when I have been sitting on my bike with the stand down loosened my grip on the clutch (engine running before shut off) and the bike moved forward a bit and the stand moved back like it was going to go back up. Luckily I have seen it each time it has happened... kind of keep my foot near it when shutting down. And I put the stand back at full extension. Don't think there is any lock on mine ('08)

Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

no lock on mine... 06

Quick Reply: Unreliable jiffy stand