Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna problem developed - need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyna problem developed - need help

I own a 05 Dyna FXDC Has stage 1 with screamin eagle II (yes the illegal ones) and is carburated. 7000 miles The stage 1 was on when I bought it in 05 so nothing is new on the bike that would have caused this I am getting a pronounced vibratiion from the back end and can feel it in the brake pedal. That is what has me concerned, that it may be a problem with my brakes which is dangerous on top of uncomfortable. It appears to happen during both acceleration and deceleration. What are the main things I should be looking at? Nothing seems wrong by just looking at the rear end but what "hidden" factors should I check? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I did a search and only thing close was a guy put on short shots and got advice that the harmonics from the short pipes, but like I mentioned, my stage 1 was on from the beginning and no problems
Thanks guys

Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel weights still on? wheel out of true? spokes look good, not loose? bearing issue?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Check your pulley bolts, none loose or backed out, Have you been leaning on the brake quite hard lately, to the point of warping the rotor? and +1 on the spokes, check for rim runout.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

05 Super Glide Customs don't have spoked wheels. They are aluminum cast.

Check all the fittings/fasteners on the back end with a torque wrench to proper specs. If any are loose you will need to re align it.

I would also check the motor mounts since it is doing it on accelleration and decelleration. (I would actually do this first) An easy way to check the top mounts is to rap (hit) them lightly with a screw driver. If one is loose it will have a different sound

If it does it steadily at any certain speed or gets worse as you go faster, tire balancing may be an issue.

And I'm not being a smart aleck, but how do you feel it through the brake pedal on accelleration? Why would you have your foot touching the brake?

If you brake very easily, you should definetely feel a rotor that has been warped. Or put the bike on a jack and spin the back wheel you will know if the rotor has been warped for sure.

And finally, check the tire all the way around for a belt shift or tread seperation.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by Jonesee; 08-06-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Headwolf
Tourer

Thanks for all the great advice guys Jonesee, correct on cast wheels. I feel it in the brake pedal on deceleration but the vibration I feel in the rear is same on acc and dec I will check rotors but I fret it may be motor mounts since this seems to be a thing with Dynas? I will check all ideas here and let you know what I find. Thanks again for quick response. Great forum

Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I doubt you have ruined a motor mount in 7000 miles.

The back motor mount/brace on the top used to loosen itself up occassionally. Look there first. It is reachable from the left side of the bike behind and rearward of the fuel shut-off. I can't remember how I fixed it. Maybe I just got it torqued right finally. I don't remember using loctite on it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Headwolf
Tourer

Ok will do Thanks again I'll have to check his out tonight Working right now