Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unreliable jiffy stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Unreliable jiffy stand

My new '09 FXD has fallen over twice when I thought the jiffy stand was out. It doesn't seem to go out far enough or the lean angle is too steep. Am I the only one having this problem?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I think you are. Make sure it is all the way down before letting the bike go and always turn the wheel to the left, and don't park on a grade opposite the stand angle.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Prolly the result of a lawsuit from someone that had a wreck due to leaving the kickstand down. With the old kickstands the bike could roll down a hill on the stand and still be standing at the bottom. With the new kickstands all that's holding it in place is the spring until you have nearly the full weight of the bike on it.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
shawn e.
Road Master

None here. Watched my indy change my front tire this weekend. He used a pos NAPA floor jack and jacked the bike up from the pipe side of the frame till the wheel was high enough.
Bike was solid as a rock.

Shawn

Last edited by shawn e.; 04-01-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: dumbass
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have NEVER heard of that... i have heard of people leaving their jiffy down and bike warming up only to roll down the drive and fall... the the jiffy should be past horizontal (should be more towards the front tire when down) you may want to take it in to have it looked at make sure there is not a bit of excess of weld there stopping it... i have never heard of that issue

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,078 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Hmmmmmmm, I've never had a problem with it...I always keep a little pressure with my boot pushing the stand all the way forward as I'm leaning the bike over just to make sure it's fully extended.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Sorry just you. I had an issue where my kick stand was bent or something. It leaned over way too much. It looked like it could tip over. But I still had faith in it because I could yank on the bike hard and it would not go over. I had the stand replaced and all is well.

When I dismount and put the kick stand down. I always make sure it is fully extended, pull back on the bike a little bit to be certain, and always make sure the front wheel is turned all the way to the left before I totally give up control of the bike.

Last edited by obonaven; 04-01-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

X2 on the last two posts. I keep my foot on the stand as I pull back just a little, while leaning the bike over till it stops.

It's like mantra buddy, you do it right, and you do it everytime..

But it is a mechanical device, and they break sometimes. You might want it checked out

Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 AM
stahl1cd
Cruiser

I have another one for ya
My freakin spring to the stand fell off while i was driving down the rode and the stand was dragging, I leaned over to see what the heck was rattling and I ran into the dang curb.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM
ronny c.
Tourer

WHEN the full weight of the bike is on the stand, it locks in place and cannot fold up untill the bike is stood up and the weight is off the stand, 1st you gotta fully extend it for it to reach the locking position. read owners manual.

Quick Reply: Unreliable jiffy stand