Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be Concerned about cost to balance and true a wheel?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be Concerned about cost to balance and true a wheel?????????

I had a flat a few weeks back on a saturday and had the local dealer who i have visited and purchased a few thousand dollars in items from pick me and the bike up and drive us back about three miles to the service dep. and replaced the tube and got me back on the road to the tune of $110... Anyway i noticed a substantial vibration and was concerned, called the dealer and asked about getting it looked at cause it was not there before and was told to drop it off for a few days... So i decided to take the wheel off(front) and take it to them tonight and was told it may cost $75 or more to balance and true if needed??? Seems high as I'm a senior master auto tech for a large car dealer in town and we dont charge that much labor to mount and road force balance 4 tires be it car or truck!!!! Anyway shouldnt they have checked the balance when the flat was repaired???? Just curious as to what i should do and how i should approach the situation??? All of my backround in customer service is in the auto industry and so far I'm not impressed............................tim

Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had both my tires balanced when I changed rotors and pulley... 18 bucks. I think the high cost you see is the truing of the wire wheels. I would have made sure the flat tire had been trued and balanced when they replaced the tube. Never know what those monkeys are thinking... I think their rate of pay is about that of a guy at jiffy lube that changes oil for a living.

Last edited by rounder; 05-01-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

yeah balancing is not bad, but truing takes some time. but 75 seems kinda high! if u didnt drive on the flat, they shouldnt(not a sure thing) have to true it.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Default reply

thats just it, i dont think it even needs trued... i teach at the local community college and our motorcycle instructor said the wheel was good... had it checked when it was off a week or so prior to the flat incident... whats a reasonable balance cost??? i know that even truing is not that involved given that the wheel is already off of the bike ......................tim

Old 05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

a reasonable price for a balance shouldnt be any more than 10$.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Default rolled

about 100 feet on the flat...... no damage on the wheel.................tim

Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of 'truing' a wheel....must be a typo...:>)

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

Originally Posted by ko4qc
Never heard of 'truing' a wheel....must be a typo...:>)
not sure if your serious or not, but truing a spoked wheel is done by tightening the spokes in certain spots to "straighten" the wheel.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to an Indy next time.

I'm going to start using the dyna beads and change my own tires.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bowman78
thats just it, i dont think it even needs trued... i teach at the local community college and our motorcycle instructor said the wheel was good... had it checked when it was off a week or so prior to the flat incident... whats a reasonable balance cost??? i know that even truing is not that involved given that the wheel is already off of the bike ......................tim
they did not tell you it needed to be trued... just told you the possible cost IF it does... Just take the wheel to an indy, get it balanced and checked for trueness.

Quick Reply: Should I be Concerned about cost to balance and true a wheel?????????