Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn Forwards - Extend vs. Cruise Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kuryakyn Forwards - Extend vs. Cruise Mounts

One of my first mods a couple years back was Kuryakyn standard length forward controls. I've always been happy with them even though I'm 6'4" and have a 34" inseam. Kury recommends extended forwards for inseams of 34" and above. On long rides, I'm starting to realize how much more comfortable it would be to have the pegs a little farther out as I find myself pushing back and riding on the back edge of my seat and it starts hurting my **** and back after a short while. So, I'm looking at the Kuryaykyn 2008 book for options and am sort of torn. Wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion with any of this?

Option A: Part number 9049, 3" extension kit. It says it's for dyna's with HD forwards that want to extend them. I am wondering if that kit will adapt to Kury's standard forwards as well as the HD controls? I can probably call about that one.

Option B: Purchase part number 9064, 3" extended forward controls kit. I could purchase and install an entirely new kit and sell my old forwards to recoup some of the cost.

Option C: Part number 7887, peg mounted cruise mounts. This sort of gives you an extended highway peg without having crash bars on the bike. But they stick out to the side a little and are probably in about the same position lengthwise as the extended forward controls. I like having my foot as close to the brakes as possible. I started out with mid controls and highway pegs and quickly switched to forwards because I didn't like moving my feet back and forth so much, especially when cruising around where a lot of braking or gear shifting was needed.

Also, if anyone has the Kury extendeds mounted up or the cruise mounts, could you please post pix?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:29 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I didn't expect to get right through to Kury tech support. I should know to check my options before posting threads. I could just edit my original post but this info may be helfpul to others thinking of doing the same thing.

Option A: won't work. Kit is only compatible with HD forward controls.

Option B: Appears to be the best option for what I want given what I found related to option C. So, if anyone has some good pix of the extended controls mounted to a dyna, I'd like to see them.

Option C: Will work but the cruise mounts put the additional pegs another 6.5" away from the primary peg. Probably too far out there for what I'm looking for. Would still like to see them and/or hear from anyone that uses these with standard length forwards.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the peg mounted cruise mounts. They're a nice solution, but I'm no longer using them. The reason why is simply because you can't use the ISO heel rests and the cruise mounts at the same time, as they mount in the same spot. I love my heel rests, so I took off the cruise mounts. They're pretty cool though; what I did was on the highway I'd put my heel in between the cruise peg and the regular peg, and sat like that. I found I didn't really like sitting there with my legs all the freakin' way out in front of me. I'm from a sportbike background so simply riding with forwards is quite the relief.

I have some pictures for ya:

One thing you can do is use Kury Switchblades and then you can have heel rests and these highway pegs.

If you're interested, I'm not using these anymore and thought maybe I'd try 'em again sometime, but I might let 'em go.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Appreciate the pix and the offer. I'll have to look and think it over. Foot position doesn't look too bad lengthwise but not sure I want my feet out and away from the brake pedal and shifter. I like to be able to leave my feet in one spot and do everything to control the bike from there. I've had heel rests before and didn't care for them. Replaced my pegs instead with the nice wide widow pegs from Kury and love them. Another reason I probably don't want to put my feet elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, let me know. They're hard to find used, as I found when I was shopping for them. Here's one more picture that might help ya.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Shizims
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also roll with option C on my '08 Fat Bob. I like them. It's really nice to be able to stretch my legs out on the highway. Your feet aren't too far out and with a little bit of getting used to you'll have no problem pulling your right foot back to the brake when it's needed. Obviously you wanna be safe, so if for any reason I get that foreshadowing that I might need to use my brake I put my feet back on the stock pegs. I never use them when I'm riding around town... and I've thought about taking them off, but then I'll do that 2 hour ride on the highway and I'm really glad that I have them.

Last edited by Shizims; 05-04-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shizims
I never use them when I'm riding around town...
I probably wouldn't either but would like my legs a little more extended all of the time. So, I'm leaning towards the extended controls...

Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Unimoose
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 6'4 as well and got the Kury extensions for my H-D controls. I can't even begin to tell you what a difference they make!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, I just ordered the extended controls from EP. Based on past orders, I should have them on Wednesday. So, if anyone is interested in some standard forwards with absolutely nothing wrong with them other than maybe some removable bug guts here or there....