Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorddaftbiker
PKellyMC,

Thank you for the inner primary info. I've been reading threads and wondering what will likely happen with the inner primary bearing on my '06 FXDCI ever since I signed a promise on the day I bought it to bring it to my dealer at 16K miles to have the inner primary bearing replaced. It's not a big deal if the dealer & the motor company do the right thing, but it's disappointing that H-D released the 6 speed w/o making sure it was rock solid first. Typical H-D, though, if you know their history of first year anything. Oh, well. So far, so good for me, I have a 3rd quarter production run bike, but I won't be confident that everything is o.k. until after the bike gets checked out at 16K miles & proper wear is confirmed.

Thanks again for sharing,
Lorddaftbiker
Typical auto/bike maker. When has a car maker released anything that wasnt tested first? Alll the time.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 AM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running Syn3 in all three holes with no problem so far...knock on wood.... I am approaching the 15K mark as well. I have a buddy with 35K on a 06 Dyna, running syn 3 in all three, with no IPB problems either. BTW,both these bikes where bought late 05. Not sure why some are having issues and some are not, but I hope my luck holds up. Glad to hear your problem got taken care of though.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Andreas
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It comes down to alignment issues on the '06 models. The '07 models have an additional 2 dowels in the inner primary that go into the transmission case. Inner primary and transmission case part numbers on '07 models are different (60800-06A and 34747-06A) .

The only reason I can think of why some Dynas have the problem and some don't is that if the primary ends up being aligned properly despite the missing 2 dowels when it rolls off the assembly line then it will be ok as long as you don't touch the inner primary.

I have images that show the difference but I just noticed that I can't post images here. I don't have an external site I could point to. I'll be happy to post if someone sorts this out for me, admin?

Andreas

Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
grizzly
Road Master

Interesting. So I wonder if there is a way to align the primary and put to alignment pins/dowels in it, the same as the 07's?

What is the fix they are doing for the 06's with problems? Putting an 07 tranny/primary in it? Pinning the 06? Alighning it and putting it together w/out pins? If its the latter, is that sufficient, assuming it was alighned properly? This is above my knowledge base as a shade tree mechanic/parts changer, so I dont know if I am making sense or not. I know I dont have any noises on mine.....and I dont want any either! I have about 15K on the clock so far. Really love the bike, and plan on keeping it for quite some time.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Andreas
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzly
Interesting. So I wonder if there is a way to align the primary and put to alignment pins/dowels in it, the same as the 07's?

What is the fix they are doing for the 06's with problems? Putting an 07 tranny/primary in it? Pinning the 06? Alighning it and putting it together w/out pins? If its the latter, is that sufficient, assuming it was alighned properly? This is above my knowledge base as a shade tree mechanic/parts changer, so I dont know if I am making sense or not. I know I dont have any noises on mine.....and I dont want any either! I have about 15K on the clock so far. Really love the bike, and plan on keeping it for quite some time.
The fix IMO is to swap out transmission case and inner primary. I recommend you ask for that should you get the same problem with your bike but it sounds like you're ok for now. Just don't touch that primary..... You might be ok with just a bearing and race change - depending on whether or not the primary gets aligned properly.

I do not know if the dowels could be retro-fitted without a drilling template. I suppose you could make one if you had an inner primary and a transmission case off an '07 Dyna. Not sure if the casting is different though on the '06's. Patrick is getting his bike fixed up with new parts - there might be an opportunity to find out. Pat, maybe your friends in the service department will let you take a look at both model year parts so you could compare?

Andreas

Old 05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Andreas' images

I think these are the images Andreas wanted to include in his post.

The two additional alignment dowels are circled in red on the '07+ image.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 05-07-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Changed info
Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

so how long will it actually go before its trashed? reason i ask i have the same noise symptoms ran it by 2 differnt shops last fall and was told its just the clutch pack coming together. pull lever in noise goes away.i am guessing i have put on 3 or 4k miles since then and the noise is no better or worse far as that goes.
also has anyone had hard time to get it replaced when outta warranty but have the papers where hd basically admitting fault there was a prob seeing they first said every 15k miles to have replaced.bike currently has 50k on it now

Old 05-07-2009, 05:41 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My first one went around 4K; went from no-noise to no-mistaking in about 40-miles of freeway riding. I rode another 70-miles home with no real increase in the noise/feel. They replaced the bearing & race (still under factory warranty) and I was good from last June 'til now (now at 12.5K). Some guys are getting tens-of-thousands of miles, and others of us are getting just a few thousand. Ive heard of a "high" of 4 failures in the same bike!
I've read posts here of guys getting HD to fix theirs for free well outside their 2-yr warranty period, but that seems to be at the discretion/good will of individual dealers, and NOT an official HD policy. If you have the "Amendment To Owner's Manual" letter you got when you bought your bike, it's strong evidence there was a known issue with the '06's (even though they sent a rescission letter some months later).
If you've got a noticeable noise that you can demonstrate using the steps described in my first post of this thread, then there's likely shaft runout, bearing breakdown, etc., like they found when they tore into mine. I had the extended warranty to fall back on IF HD wasn't gonna do the right thing by me. Maybe you need to shop around for a more accommodating dealer who's dealt with this issue before. Both of the ones closest to me were clueless about the '06 IPB issue before mine.
Ask your nearby shops to demonstrate the same noise with any Dyna on their floor...any HD, for that matter. I knew my bike, and the noises that were normal and abnormal. I was very riled when a HD Tech said my noise was normal. I had enough confidence they'd find a problem, that I gave permission to tear it down for closer inspection, knowing that I'd be out $400+ if they did and found all within spec. If I can be of any help, PM me or email this userID at Yahoo. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
883 IRON
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my inner primary off yesterday in my '09 and there were only 2 guide dowels on the inner plus the two alignment dowels for the starter, if that helps

Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

awesome!!!

Quick Reply: Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing