Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing

Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I don't care who's bearing you use, if the chain is too tight it will fail. Which is the most common problem we see in the cruise drive bikes.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I don't care who's bearing you use, if the chain is too tight it will fail. Which is the most common problem we see in the cruise drive bikes.
Thanks for confirming this Mark, it's great to hear this from someone with credibility.

This was my personal assessment as the culprit as well. Although HD maintains that solving the alignment issue alone is enough to correct the problem, it doesn't make sense that it alone can cause that wear.

This is the main reason that the first purchase I made after having the full monty done, was buying an aftermarket Primary Chain Tensioner. The stock one is part of the problem and HD doesn't want to admit and/or replace with a better unit than the stock 2006.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Borisat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Australia HD Aus wont repair it all, so i got the baker bearing , paid $450 for the local Harley dealer to get it fitted(was quoted $300), now the seal leaks and i have to buy another seal.

They tell me coz i supplied the seal they will only warranty their work if its obvious the seal was damaged during installation or im up for another couple of hundred dollars to replace a 9 dollar seal (SKF 9758 25x52x7)

Not happy at all , mine went at 34000 klms, dunno what that is in miles 2006 fxdwgi

Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey borisat,

Robots here man, if that seal is leaking it could very well be the "inner bearing race" moved out, if the race moves in its normally transmission fluid and a different seal

If its primary fluid thats leaking and it will run down back of inner primary onto primary drain bolt

If you get no where with dealer let us know, have the puller and installer
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hey borisat,

Robots here man, if that seal is leaking it could very well be the "inner bearing race" moved out, if the race moves in its normally transmission fluid and a different seal
I don't think the Baker bearing uses that inner race.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I don't think the Baker bearing uses that inner race.
It does not use the race, how many miles were put on the bike after the High Torque bearing was installed. We don't usually see leaking issues from that seal. When they tear it apart again have them check (At least the portion that is exposed) the run out on the transmission mainshaft, a bent mainshaft will cause a seal to leak almost immediately depending on the runout.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Will your manual tensioner, or a combination of the tensioner and your bearing pretty much be a long-term fix for the problem with the inner primary bearing on the 06?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Borisat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hey borisat,

If its primary fluid thats leaking and it will run down back of inner primary onto primary drain bolt

If you get no where with dealer let us know, have the puller and installer
Thanks
Mirrmu

Gday Mate, yeah its a 1 piece bearing, the bike hadn't done 1000 klms, 600 miles before i noticed the leak(now done 2000 klms), the new seal should be here by the end of next week.

Im thinking i don't want this dealer to touch it again, so might take ya up on that Robots, ill have to source 5 x new bolts and gasket's again.....grrrrrrrrr

Its definitely gathering on the bolt, was hoping it was just the O-ring, but its the seal, i think they damaged it during installation

Not Happy with the service department at all

Last edited by Borisat; 03-26-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Borisat
Gday Mate, yeah its a 1 piece bearing, the bike hadn't done 1000 klms, 600 miles before i noticed the leak(now done 2000 klms), the new seal should be here by the end of next week.

Im thinking i don't want this dealer to touch it again, so might take ya up on that Robots, ill have to source 5 x new bolts and gasket's again.....grrrrrrrrr

Its definitely gathering on the bolt, was hoping it was just the O-ring, but its the seal, i think they damaged it during installation

Not Happy with the service department at all
I wouldn't replace the bolts or gasket if you just replaced them with new before this.

I would also check the shaft to make sure they didn't score it if they cut the original race off. My brother scored his just slightly and it leaked like mad...used some epoxy to fill in the mark and sanded it smooth...hasn't leaked since.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Will your manual tensioner, or a combination of the tensioner and your bearing pretty much be a long-term fix for the problem with the inner primary bearing on the 06?
Yes sir, add our compensator to that list and you'll really be styling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing