Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Oil Change Prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Man you guys are brutal , try running a business with overhead and making a profit. It's not easy especially when's its so competitive . my buddy runs a Indy shop he needs $80 an hour just to squeak by after all business expenses, health care, labor, and on and on it goes.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM
turbomustang84
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't let anyone touch my cars or bikes other than tire changes because I hate doing it and really would rather pay someone else .

I do find the prices to change oil at the dealership rediculously high at $99 plus tax when I can change the the oil on any Harley I have owned including the Primary oil and adjust the chain for that price three times and know it was done correctly.

And if I need to do any major mechanical work it is still easier than doing it on any of our cars .

I think I would. rather totally rebuild my bike rather than change the power steering on my wife's SHO .because that engine may be one of the most reliable and great sounding and looking engines ever made it is so tight it looks like it was shoehorned in .

I plan on a complete fluid change on my Super Glide this weekend and the 20 minutes it will take me will actually feel much less painful after reading this thread .thanks for reinforcing the reason I turn my own wrenches ,and it is not because I'm cheap as much as it is I feel safer knowing I did it not some one who could care less if my bike seizes up on the highway a few hundred miles from the house .

Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by turbomustang84

And if I need to do any major mechanical work it is still easier than doing it on any of our cars .

i see the other way.... easier to work on the cars vs the bike. (excluding transmissions on low cars)

heavier lift but, more room for error.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:20 AM
cgaroberts
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
I sometimes change the motor oil myself but had two gift cards for $50.00 each so i thought i would treat my bike to an oil change and safe myself the labor , i walk into the dealer to the service dept and was told it would be $78.00 plus tax , wow 3 qts of oil and a filter which would take 15 min at the most on a lift , I walk away and bought a jacket instead , my car only cost $32.00 with a free wash , i think i want to call my state's attorney and rat them out , they are over charging the consumer , it does not take an hour to change a bikes oil when you have a lift , what are you guys paying for an oil change at your dealer ? ( if you use them )
I have been mechanic for 46 years now and charge an hour and my friends and customers are happy to pay it. As a technician we never just change the oil. We follow the book which is a list of checks of lights,brakes,fluids,tire wear, set tire pressure, check belt tension, check for leaks, road test and general checkover of controls plus grease steering head bearings. Dispose of dirty used oil, I bought a $1500 lift and have invested in $25000 in tools plus equipment. I am busy because its about quality service and preventative maintenance. Guess you can sue me too and all other techs that try to do good work. Try taking your bike to walmart !

Old 06-24-2021, 05:20 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

With all due respect cgaroberts, you are a dying breed. Most dealers let the kid who takes out the trash, sweeps the shop, and gets the coffee do the oil changes. He's not touching my bike! I've been riding since the '60's and have never paid anyone to change my oil. $75-90 to do a 15 minute job? That's nuts! If you can change a light bulb, you can change your own oil.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:47 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

This thread has died, and come back, more times than a cheap horror movie. Lol