Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
pugs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire lifespan

Just took my 08 superglide in for its 5000 mile service. Needed inspection too. The service guy measured the tread on the tires and said that the rear probably wouldn't pass inspection. Is that the average lifespan of a rear tire on these bikes?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

It all depends on how you ride, and they type of roads your riding on (road surface has a lot of influence on tire wear).
Some people only get 5k to 8k on a rear tire, and others might get 10k to 12k.

In general though, motorcycle tires do not last near as long as automobile tires.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
RealEstateBiker
Intermediate

Depends mostly on your riding style. I got 12k out of my last rear and just replaced the front at over 17k.

If you ride 2 up, more wear...if you accelerate hard, more wear....tire brand and style....makes a difference as well. Dunlops wear a little longer as they are a harder rubber, Metzler wears a little quicker as it is softer and stickier, etc...

You will get varying answers on tire life.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

On my 07, I got 13k+ out of the rear with doing only ONE good burnout at MB bike week '08. The front went just over 15k before changing. I do ride 80/20 solo/2up and I don't usually carry a lot of stuff wth me other than my jacket. This is the first set of tires I've gone through. Softer tires will wear quicker but handle better. I did have my shocks on #4 but recently tried #3 to soften the ride for my g/f. It's not bad.

You have the shocks set at the stiffest setting? Ride 2-up a lot? Carry a lot of stuff?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 11,000 on my rear tire right now. It looks like I may get another 2000 out of it.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by pugs
Just took my 08 superglide in for its 5000 mile service. Needed inspection too. The service guy measured the tread on the tires and said that the rear probably wouldn't pass inspection. Is that the average lifespan of a rear tire on these bikes?
Must be this batch of tires there pugs..... I also just did my 5K, and the rear tire is almost down to the wear bars. These are the stock Dunlops..... crap, if they are supposed to wear longer, I'll be going through at least two back tires a year if change to a 'good' tire.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

The most important factor in how long a tire lasts is proper tire pressure. I run my tires on the high side pressure wise and they last quite well.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 AM
pugs
Tourer

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
On my 07, I got 13k+ out of the rear with doing only ONE good burnout at MB bike week '08. The front went just over 15k before changing. I do ride 80/20 solo/2up and I don't usually carry a lot of stuff wth me other than my jacket. This is the first set of tires I've gone through. Softer tires will wear quicker but handle better. I did have my shocks on #4 but recently tried #3 to soften the ride for my g/f. It's not bad.

You have the shocks set at the stiffest setting? Ride 2-up a lot? Carry a lot of stuff?
Shocks are set at three. I probably do about the same as you -80/20 solo/2 up. Mostly riding country roads. No burn outs, but sometimes I am fast off the line. Don't put much in the bags other than a hat and my wife's makeup case.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

... and I run my tires at the pressure specified in 'the book'.

So Mr goodies, what pressure do you run when loaded with gear and passenger?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

I ride a softail, but put 42 and 44 front and rear in my tires. I beleive the book states a far lower pressure, of course that is on the stock tires. I run brands other than stock and go by what it says on the sidewall. If I had a sporty with stock tires I'd run at least 36 front and 40 rear. Some might say I am crazy, but I like to achieve a balance between handling and tire life span. Ask around, there are many different opinions on tire pressure. Check your pressure 1 time a week too.

Quick Reply: tire lifespan