Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades 15 inch slim installed of 08 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:16 AM
thegov3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memphis Shades 15 inch slim installed of 08 FXDL

Like the looks and no bike buffeting or wobble....but I have severe head buffeting.

Not matter how I adjust the windshield (up, down, forward etc), I get an incredible amount of head buffeting on my full face helmet. I can slightly reduce it with the windshield tilted all the way forward, but I can not get it to the point I can ride any distance without a headache and major eye strain. The buffeting feels like it is caused by air over the windshield, but I can't tell. I am 5'8" and the top of the windshield hits me right in the middle of the noise. So it should be fine. I can go to a 17" but I will look through that and I am not sure it will fix the head buffeting.

I don't want a windshield but I have several long three day rides coming soon. So I need it.

Anyone fix a similar issue on a FXDL? Would a front fork bag help? A front fork air baffle perhaps? Or would the 17" be the answer? Did your head buffeting come from wind above or below the fairing?

I searched the forum and found similar issues with buffeting, but I am not sure if they mean head or bike buffeting. I need to fix HEAD buffeting.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

THe other threads are talking about head buffeting. Try a fork bag to see if it goes away. Then try modifying a touring baffle to fit.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Leaning it forward helped me some. The fork bag also helped me some. I can tolerate what I have left, but it is not completely gone. During the winter I add some Memphis Shades lowers and they really help, but I hate the way they look. I only use them to keep the cold air from coming up under my helmet.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM
thegov3
Advanced

Well I tried to get the buffeting minimized, but gave up. I tried every position possible. At 5'8 I must be too tall. I can tell the buffeting is coming from above the windshield and hitting my helmet. The whistling of it over my head into the closed air slots on the helmet is very irritating too. As such, the 15 inch slim Memphis Shade is going back. Plus, the hardware that came with it was kinda nasty finish wise anyway. I don't want a windshield, but I need a windshield......

Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

That is weird, I am 5 11 and I do not get much wind over the shield at all. It could be I have a 17 inch shield, I am not sure. If I put my hand across my chest all the annoying air goes away.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
thegov3
Advanced

I think I might try a 17 inch shield or go real low, like a 10 inch to just block chest air. Not sure.