Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

angled triple trees, lowering shocks and ride quality.???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM
WeatherMan85
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default angled triple trees, lowering shocks and ride quality.???

here is my plan and i need info. i am buying my 11" rear shocks from PSI this friday and am planning my next mod. i am mainly going for looks but safety and ridability is more important. i was looking for a raked triple tree. only a little bit more then stock though

i am riding a 2007 streetbob. are the trees raked stock on this bike?

is combining lowering shocks and racked trees safe if you maintain stock tube length? does anyone know how much trail i will have?

if i am satisfied with what the ride and safety will be i am going to do this but first i have to find a place to buy the trees. all the sets in JP say not for my year dyna???????

Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

11" suspension will give you about an inch of usable travel. Will ride poorly. raked trees are fine up to 3 deg.. I don't think I would waste the money on them though.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 ha ha ha that is funny just what i was getting ready to type... well to that extent

Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of people have 11" shocks and are pleased with them, although they are not the preferred setup for all-out performance. Rather than raked trees, you can get raked neck cups that will give you 3* more rake. Do a search, all of this has been covered...a bunch.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

3 degrees of rake has always been the recommended measure for dynas that I have heard. My indy says he recommends 3 degrees but 5 wouldn't be "dangerous" if you wanted to go that far. Anything beyond that and the ridability starts to go away on you according to him. As someone else said though, in my opinion, not worth it for 3 degrees but to each his own. 11" shocks can and has been done but you do cut down on your travel and the ride will likely suffer, especially on not so good roads. Much of that will depend on how much weight is on the bike and the type of shocks you are getting. I dropped down to 12" shocks but I upgraded to heavy duty models and my ride actually improved as I was almost at the weight limit recommendation for standard shocks at the time - 250 lbs. I'm 30 lbs lighter now but still like the ride better even though many do not seem to appreciate Progressive 412 shocks as a significant upgrade.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Trichey
5th Gear

I am putting 11 inch shocks on my wideglide this weekend and will give my 2 cents after i try them out if you want. I have been throwing around rake options for a while now and from what I gather 3 degrees won't hurt anything and I talked to Joe at vulcan today (people that make the cups) and they don't change the handling at all to speak of. I have heard that some folks don't like the look of the cups once on the bike. I have some and am planning to put them on to see if it does anything for me.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, www.chopper-kits.com has some cool stuff. Wish I had the coin for that. I'd have one killer metric chop.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 11" heavy duty Progressives and it rides pretty rough.So much so that I'm thinking of going back to air shocks. I wouldn't waste my money raking the front end with stock length tubes but if you lower the rear without doing anything with the front it will increase the Dyna's inherent instability in high speed cornering. This can be easily rectified by sliding the tubes up in the triples about 1/2".

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Trichey
5th Gear

I agree with Special Ed. Put 11s on mine and love the look but the ride is pretty stiff. I put a fat chick on the back this weekend and could have won a prize at a biker rodeo with that trick. Wish I had pics

Attached Thumbnails angled triple trees, lowering shocks and ride quality.???-bike-4-b.jpg  

Quick Reply: angled triple trees, lowering shocks and ride quality.???