Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Wraps on Black Powdercoat - Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Wraps on Black Powdercoat - Alternatives?

So I've got this really great bag I keep mounted on my handlebars. It isn't the prettiest thing - but it is functional as hell - and I can carry practically the equivalent of what I used to carry in my bags on my Road King Classic.

The problem I'm going to run into is - when I get my bars powder coated in the winter, I'm thinking I'm going to need to find another way to mount this bag. Right now, it utilizes tie wraps on very nicely positioned D rings - 1 on each handlebar upgright - and a couple more at the bottom.

My guess is that the plastic tie wraps - or just about anything - will rub that powder coat off in no time due to bumps & general vibration. Is that a correct assumption?

Any ideas on alternative material to fasten to the bars? Or do we think anything I use to attach the bag to the bars will rub through the powdercoat?

I know there are bags that go on the back of backrest's - I tried that - but, I hate having my backrest on for starters, and often prefer to ride with the solo seat on. I know this bag isn't exactly "pretty" either - but its functional & I like it enough to leave it on all the time. I'm also not crazy aobut saddle bags on this bike (due to look and/or price) and aint gonna do a lugge wrack either. I really prefer the bike mounted bags with the bobber...

Note: This is not a pic of my bike; it's an example of the same bag on another bike (I really gotta take some pics of my bike & get'em on here). My bag has a bungee holding it up off the light in the middle - and, because I used the plastic tie wraps - the ends are up on the bars where the turn signals are located in this pic (I moved my signals off the bars, so that's not an issue). Oh - and this is the larger bag - the place I got it also has a smaller bag that's only about a foot long; this one is about 2 1/2 feet in length, in case anyone is interested.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i kinda have the same issue now that i have a v rod fairing....i dont want to go back to a backpack or take the fairing off....

Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know where you get them but what about those leather or nylon web buckled straps that have sheepskin sewn on one side?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
K9pusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...or maybe try to find some of those foam tabs with adhesive on one side and stick them on the back of your bars and just ziptie over them, shitty idea I know, but an idea none the less, haha.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you should be fine, and easy way not to worry is when you have to put it on, run a piece of electrial tape aroudn the are that the strap or zip tie will be... also velcro straps would work just as well like you use for holding cables and cords together like this
http://cableorganizer.com/panduit/tak-ty-cable-ties/

Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the t-bag like that and I put it on the fender or pad if its on and strap it to the turn signals and top of shocks. Then I can use it as a back rest. It does have the hard cylinder that keeps it's round shape. Its made for the handle bars also or a sissy bar. I hope that all that made sense.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Why not get four pieces of rubber hose with a inner diameter to match your handlebars, cut a slice in each one and slip over your bars, then attach your bag with the tie wraps.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,296 Likes on 2,352 Posts

+1 on the split hoses or get some leather than wrap the bars with the leather, bind with leather laces than attach the bag with leather laces to the bars.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the powder will hold up fine, i am more worried about scuffing it...

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Handlebar Bags

The Saraceni Bags have the nylon straps with plastic buckles sewn on.
www.saracenibags.com
You could buy nylon straps with buckles like the pics in their web site.

Last edited by dyna rider; 07-22-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Add Info

Quick Reply: Tie Wraps on Black Powdercoat - Alternatives?