Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 FXDX Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
tbayne
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 FXDX Clutch Issue

My first post on this site. I am looking for opinions/advice.

Recently was into the primary trying to track down a noise, replaced the compensator. Noise still there. Decided to try replacing the clutch hub bearing. Ordered on from the dealer, and when it came in hauled my clutch hub up there to have the new one pressed in.

After 30 minutes or so, they call me to the counter to tell me the bad news, seems my clutch basket is cracked. The mechs also said they had never seen anything like this before. See the pictures attached.

Over the weekend I took the basket into a local (independent) shop. I wanted to know what could have caused this so (maybe) I can prevent it in the future.

The interesting thing is that one of the first questions they asked me was if I (they assumed I was the one who pushed the bearing out) had pushed the bearing out crooked.

When I explained I didn't do it - they quickly said "I am NOT saying the other shop screwed up, but I don't see any other way that crack could have happened". He explained the biggest clue was the raised ridge pointed to by the arrows in the second picture. If the bearing were pushed out unevenly then the side with the pressure would raise just such a ridge before it broke. Note that the other side of the basket is smooth. Also note the bearing itself has no scars on the outside.

So questions:

Has anyone seen this kind of failure before?

Does this really look like it was pushed out crooked?

Thanks
Terry

Attached Thumbnails 2000 FXDX Clutch Issue-img_1046.jpg_s.jpg   2000 FXDX Clutch Issue-img_1048.jpg_s.jpg   2000 FXDX Clutch Issue-img_1049.jpg_s.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome aboard... i dont have much help for you but to wish you luck. i'd call the first shop and tell them you had an indy look into it, and they think the bearing may have been pressed out crooked. and see what they think, if they are any kind of shop they should hav fessed up from the get go.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, the first thing I thought when I read this is the dealer did it pressing the bearing. Welcome to the forum. Be sure to keep us updated on how this one plays out. Good Luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
tbayne
2nd Gear
Default Update:

After talking to a couple of local shops and the comments from here, I hauled the damaged clutch basket back to the dealership on Monday.

Explained my point of view to the service manager. Explaining the damage couldn't be caused while the hub is on the bike, there just isn't anyway to put that kind of stress, at that angle, on the hub when it's mounted. He said he would discuss it with his guys and get back to me - whatever that means.

He looked a bit strained when I said: "I've been doing business here for about 5 years, and have spent quite a bit of money both on parts and service during that time. I am sure you will figure out what's the right thing to do."

If I don't hear from them by tomorrow afternoon I will call to see where they are at. And will post an update.

Terry

Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That answer means they did it. If that happened while it was on your bike you would have a truck load of other problems

Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Find a different dealer, a lot of dealers don't care any more because of the business they get from the RUBS. Just curious what was the original noise and when was the noise being made? clutch release, coasting with clutch in, or during clutch engagement?

Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Lead pipe cinch they did that pressing the old bearing...they should make it good by you.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
tbayne
2nd Gear
Default Final Update

Hi,

After leaving the clutch basket with the Service Manager at the local dealership for a week I called them back.

The service manager said (quoting from memory): "Terry, after looking at this I don't see any way this could have happened other than the way you said." In other words he admitted, without really admitting, that it was done during the bearing press out.

After some haggling back and forth I ended up with a whole new clutch assembly (37806-03) for the cost of the replacement bearing + tax. This seems very fair to me, the old bearing was bad.

Put the new assembly in this weekend and it works fine. Noise in the Primary is gone, no slippage. I will be pulling the primary once more in about another 100 miles or so to double check things (including compensator nut and chain slack). But at this point I am satisfied.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man thats great! Glad they made it right for ya.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

If it was their fault, why was there any "haggling" at all?

You got a fair deal but negotiating for a new basket should have been unnecessary.

Quick Reply: 2000 FXDX Clutch Issue