Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Handlebar Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Handlebar Change

Alright guys, heres the deal. A friend of mine just bought a house and the previous owner left a set of clutch, brake, and trottle cables there. He told me he had a Street Bob, but not sure what year. When my friend gave me these cables I was thrilled. Ive been wanting to change the bars on my 09 Superglide custom since it hit 50 miles a long time ago, but I just tooled around with the idea. Sorry the stock bars just dont work for me. Now Im going into this head first. Ive already got the handlebars from the dealer, and the cables from my friend, but I have doubts in some areas. I have a garage full of tools but I have never done this on my other two harleys but have wrenched on cars since i was 15. Will the electical wires be long enough or will I have to add on? How hard and long will this take? How can i make sure my cables are the right length?

I hate to be so long but Im nervous as I said. If anyone out there has done this please let me know. It would be great if someone could give me a step by step.
Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

We need details,

What new bars do you have?
etc....etc...

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
big block
Cruiser

Just have to do it man ,if something dont work you'll have to improvise.There's a way around most anything.You can do it.
Big Block

Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

X2 on the details.....

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

how long are the new cables you have? if you are going to do it man do it right do it once. run those wires internal and clean up the bars...

Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

Handlebars are part number 56079-93t from harley.They are the factory bars from the wide glide or Street Bob. The clutch cable is 68 11/16 long. I was told the cables and brake line were off a street bob and the measurements back that up. But will my electrical lines be long enough?
Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lilspanky
Handlebars are part number 56079-93t from harley.They are the factory bars from the wide glide or Street Bob. The clutch cable is 68 11/16 long. I was told the cables and brake line were off a street bob and the measurements back that up. But will my electrical lines be long enough?
Thanks
Yes, as long as you don't go internal on the wiring. If you go internal, you have to splice some wire in.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain

I got these from Chicago H-D for $130, I didn't like having the splices in my wires, plus when I ran 'em internal (my stock wires) I striped off the outer jacket, which was a mistake because it makes it a lot essayer for them to chafe inside the bars and ground out
http://search.harley-davidson.com/?q=70239-07

Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspanky
Alright guys, heres the deal. A friend of mine just bought a house and the previous owner left a set of clutch, brake, and trottle cables there. He told me he had a Street Bob, but not sure what year. When my friend gave me these cables I was thrilled. Ive been wanting to change the bars on my 09 Superglide custom since it hit 50 miles a long time ago, but I just tooled around with the idea. Sorry the stock bars just dont work for me. Now Im going into this head first. Ive already got the handlebars from the dealer, and the cables from my friend, but I have doubts in some areas. I have a garage full of tools but I have never done this on my other two harleys but have wrenched on cars since i was 15. Will the electical wires be long enough or will I have to add on? How hard and long will this take? How can i make sure my cables are the right length?

I hate to be so long but Im nervous as I said. If anyone out there has done this please let me know. It would be great if someone could give me a step by step.
Thanks
Well, the Street bob has only been around since 2006 so it narrows it down quite a bit. I don;'t think much changed between 06 and 09 other than engine displacement. 2006=88" 2007+=96".

Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dyna-Asa
I got these from Chicago H-D for $130, I didn't like having the splices in my wires, plus when I ran 'em internal (my stock wires) I striped off the outer jacket, which was a mistake because it makes it a lot essayer for them to chafe inside the bars and ground out
http://search.harley-davidson.com/?q=70239-07

If you're not a patient sort, and can't wire very well... then these would probably be the way to go. However, if you take some time and pay attention, splicing will save you some cash, and be fine. I made sure my splices would be 'outside' of the bars.. so I put them in just upstream from the backbone connector:

Some folks recommend staggering your splices, but since I was putting on fat bars, I had all kinds of room...

.... and then heatshrink over the top of the bundle of splices....

Once they are in, cover the exposed wires with some type of protection. I chose a Nylon braided wire sheath.

Hope the pics helped a bit.

Quick Reply: HELP! Handlebar Change