Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lift? Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM
alb84z31t
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank lift? Good or bad?

I've been thinking about putting a tank lift on my 08 Fat Bob. I was curious though how it actually looks. Also a friend of mine has a tank lift on his softail and said he doesn't get the use of the full fuel volume from his tank anymore. Does anyone have one and do you have the same problem?

Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

i have a 2" lift and the only downside is my fuel gage is off. But I don't use that anyway. I just use my trip.

If you like how it looks, do it. It's not gonna hurt anything.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got a 2" lift, haven't noticed any difference in actual tank volume or use. The fuel gauge has never been worth a damn. It indicates that I'm emptying out sooner now, but I keep an eye on miles and what kind of riding I've been doing, no worries.

Only thing with the FB is that the handle bars are already very close at the full right & left turn positions. You'll need to do something, risers etc. to keep from hitting if you lift the tank.

Good luck,
t

Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why people say their fuel gauge isn't worth a damn mine is dead on.Of course I don't have a tank lift and that's why I won't get one. My Bob is the first bike I've ever owned with a fuel gauge and I like it.I've been using the tripmeter method for years and it's not always accurate either.If you throw in a couple high speed runs you'll burn up more fuel in less miles and may end up out of gas I know I have. I do wish my low fuel light didn't come on at a 1/4 tank but when the needle says a 1/4 tank it's pretty much a 1/4 tank. Now, the tank lifts do look cool and if you're OK with a useless gas gauge go for it.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2" lift for a while and removed it. I agree with Ed in that with out the tank lift my gas gauge was dead on. With the lift it was way off and I like having an accurate way to judge my fuel. It did look pretty good with it on but I soon grew tired of sweatin the gas deal. I'll sell it for $20.00

Last edited by thedonthere; 07-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gas gauge has been dead on accurate too. A nice convenience IMHO.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Righteous
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a 2" lift on my bike. See pics. True, the tank won't fill all the way to the top, but only a little short. True, the fuel gage won't be calibrated, but you can fix that by removing it and bending the arm to the float.

Bottom line is it looks good, so do it!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2" lift and it does mess up the fuel gauge, but this can be corrected according to others. I, like most, just use the trip odo to know when I need fuel. You will still be able to get all of your fuel out, at least on that bike as the pickup is at the rear of the tank.

Also, on my bike I had no problems with the turn signals touching but depending on how your handlebars are oriented you may touch. Just re-orient the handlebars.

Also, you may wonder what the benefit is, well there is none except maybe being able to clean the top of the rocker covers more easily. It is just for looks. I like the line it makes on my bike....my sig pic has the lift FYI....2009 Fat Bob

Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Parkerhd36
Novice

Is the search function broke or somthin?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

i made my own, 1-1/2" i don't like them too high, they start to look a bit off, the fuel issues aren't a prob for me

Quick Reply: Tank lift? Good or bad?