Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield height and angle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:53 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
Try this as well as huggin the head light! Tilt it forward! Got rid of pretty much all my buffetting. I have the Harley QD Standard.

I totally agree!!! Don't blow the above idea off! I did it and it works! Seems counter intuitive, but it certainly got rid of all of my complaints. I tried tilting it back, then was looking into jack-flaps, lower deflectors and all shapes and sizes of windshields, but it ends up I had the right windshield to begin with. All I needed to do was tilt it forward and keep it tight against the headlight...Exactly as JaronB has illustrated.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD quick detach windshield and found most of my buffeting was coming up around my tank . I put on a set of Memphis shades lowers and cured about 90% of it. Mike

Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

The general rule is..............you should be able to look over the top of the shield AND be able to see at least 50 ft. in front of you.

Tough to find any windshield that looks good on a bike. BUT...................

Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbobmg
I have the HD quick detach windshield and found most of my buffeting was coming up around my tank . I put on a set of Memphis shades lowers and cured about 90% of it. Mike
That's what got me thinking seriously about buying the lowers. I tried moving the windshield up, down and tilting it back. Then I raised the tank, etc. Raising the tank helped in one way, but caused other issues. I was about to order the lowers, but thought I'd first try tilting the windshield forward. That did it for me!

Since you already bought the Memphis Shades lowers and experienced a 90% improvement (about what I got with the forward tilt), why don't you also tilt your windshield forward? Tilt it forward and also keep it tight against the headlight. I'd love to hear what this does to your buffeting.

So far, I'm content with just the windshield as it currently sits, low over the headlight and tilted forward . I no longer have any head bobble, mustache up the nose, nor any of my earlier turbulence induced double vision issues.

I'd prefer to keep my windshield's on and off simplicity just as it is...a 10 second switch. First I'd like to hear from you after you tried tilting forward and lowering the windshield tight against the headlight.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I just tilted my HD QD windshield forward, so it's almost straight up/down, and it was a great improvement. Eliminated most of the buffeting.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:41 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the sport shield that Harley has listed for the Rocker. It fits the mid 49mm forks and it's shaped more like a fairing than a big windshield. It doesn't have turbulence and takes all the pressure of sour chest while still allowing air to circulate around your head. A plus if you wear a full face helmet. It's also smaller and in my opinion looks better on the Dyna front end.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
RDFXDF
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have mine set level with the tip of my nose and have no buffeting complaints at all. 15" HD detachable.