Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle set screw problems?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Idle set screw problems?

Anyone have any issues with their idle set screw/bolt? I think that is what it is called anyway. It is basically a bolt without a hex head that sets the idle RPM level and mine completely **** the bed yesterday.

I started on my trip to Sturgis yesterday and made it about 180 miles before I had a problem . It had been pouring down rain so it was wet and I went to jump off an exit ramp to get some gas. I had one of Mr. Knapps fork bag stereos jamming (awesome btw) so I could not really hear the engine. I pulled in the clutch and down shifted like normal. When I let off the clutch the bike raced forward and I about rear ended a car at the bottom of the ramp. It was wet (as I said) and I managed to lock the rear wheel up braking. Luckily I was able to stay upright, thank goodness for my wasted youth spent on dirtbikes. Anyway, I was able to get to a parking lot and I checked it out. Could not figure out what was wrong. Tried unplugging my power commander and a list of sundry other things. I called the closets dealer and they put a tech on the phone. He said as long as it was safe he did not think riding it the 20 miles to the dealership would do the engine any harm.

The tech found the idle set screw hanging out and it was stripped. He had to tap the threads and put a new bolt in. The work was not done until after 6 so I just stayed in the area. Today I managed only 600 miles because it was pouring down rain all day. Still loving life, I am sure I will make it to Sturgis eventually.

Shenanodoah Harley was awesome, very helpful. Also, Mr Knapps fork bag stereos rock. Anyone else have issues with the idle set screw?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine came out of my 06 fxd,wasnt stripped,i put it back in with loctite.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. I am not sure if the tech stripped it or if the threads were jacked up before he touched it. Either way I now have a standard bolt instead of bolt without the hex head and a standard thread.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hummm

i've been having a dieing at idle problem off and on for a while now... mostly off, but it died everytime i came to a stop coming home from chillicothe this weekend. now im creating a list of things to check as my warranty went out 2 days ago.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I talked to a tech at Rapid City Harley while I was out there and he said it was a common problem on the 07's but he did not mention other years. Should be an easy thing to check. It is on the front side of the throttle body. The problem is it backs out causing idle to go up, but I suppose it could cause the opposite problem as well. An easy thing to check anyway, but not an easy thing to fix on the side of the road in the middle of a rain storm

Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
vthokieharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 08 street bob and mine did the same thing. Luckily, I only live 2 miles from the dealer, so I rode up there with it revving like it was going to blow up. Loctite, and its back to good....