Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner primary leak disaster! Now whats the fix??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Jinxie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner primary leak disaster! Now whats the fix??

98 FXD Dyna.

I realize now why the inner primary was leaking on the back side between the inner primary and the engine! I thought the o-ring or gasket just needed replacing. I was wrong. Somehow, the previous owner broke 1/2 the diameter of the o-ring lip on the engine case itself. It looks as though they tried to silicone the lip bacl onto the case, then use an o-ring.
I definately dont think an oring is an option anymore. I do have the 1/2 diameter lip for the crankcase still, but I dont see a leak proof way of glueing, siliconing, etc then being able to use the oring.
Is there someway I can seal it with gasket? Is there maybe an older style inner primary that used a gasket I can purchase? Do I epoxy the inner primary to the engine case??

Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
fixxr
Road Captain

Time to check out E-bay for a new chrome one or a good used one,the price will be close to what you'll pay to have the old one fixed!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you still have the pcs and you want a fix other than a tear down over the winter lets say.

You have some options if your good with your hands and tools that pcs could be put back in but silicone won't do it.

Your going to need some JB weld or some very good two part epoxy and a steady hand. If you keep the epoxy or JB out of the oring area and more on the outside you won't have to buff the oring area much and should get it to seal up.

If you get the good liquid two part epoxy that stuff will harden up so hard you almost cant dremel it out.

This would work until you decide to tear it down. I have used this stuff on alot of things in industry and on cars if done right and the area cleaned good its some tough stuff.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

post up a pic of what you have

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, pix please...may help us brainstorm.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fixxr
Time to check out E-bay for a new chrome one or a good used one,the price will be close to what you'll pay to have the old one fixed!
This won't work. The problem is on the engine case, not the inner primary. The only 100% fix would be to tear down the engine and replace the left half of the case.

I'd give the epoxy a try first though. I've seen the same thing work in other areas, and fortunately the lip in question is not a load bearing member. You just need it to stay in place.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
if you still have the pcs and you want a fix other than a tear down over the winter lets say.

You have some options if your good with your hands and tools that pcs could be put back in but silicone won't do it.

Your going to need some JB weld or some very good two part epoxy and a steady hand. If you keep the epoxy or JB out of the oring area and more on the outside you won't have to buff the oring area much and should get it to seal up.

If you get the good liquid two part epoxy that stuff will harden up so hard you almost cant dremel it out.

This would work until you decide to tear it down. I have used this stuff on alot of things in industry and on cars if done right and the area cleaned good its some tough stuff.
I think this is your only option unless you tear it down Like Skully said the trick to this is clean and keeping it out of the O ring seat

Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never tried this stuff but it looks interesting. Might be worth a try. http://durafix.com/

Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Jinxie
Cruiser

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I actually found this and was going to give it a try first, for what its worth....

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...fCatId=&mmyId=

Seems its not all uncommon on these Evos anyways. This basically eliminates the need for an Oring and uses as gasket. Its halfway thru the riding season....worth a shot anyway.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinxie
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I actually found this and was going to give it a try first, for what its worth....

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...fCatId=&mmyId=

Seems its not all uncommon on these Evos anyways. This basically eliminates the need for an Oring and uses as gasket. Its halfway thru the riding season....worth a shot anyway.

Perfect!

Quick Reply: Inner primary leak disaster! Now whats the fix??