Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:28 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Screaming Eagle brace works and looks good also. I can't comment on other brands.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the Screamin Eagle brace and I noticed a difference. I think it looks good.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was urged by my service rep not to waste my money since I have the 49mm forks. She said a real nice chrome fork brace is esthetically pleasing but of no handling advantage in my case....I went with that.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I had one on my WG, 41 mm forks, and honestly I did not see a noticeable difference either way. It did add a little eye candy, but I am perfectly happy without it. I am not known for being a granny in the curves either. I would agree that with the newer 49 mm it probably is only a psychological difference. But if that is what it takes to give you the confidence, then it can't hurt.
Last winter when it was really cold one of the outside clamps on mine snapped, if I could find a replacement part I would put it back on for the eye candy, but I would not spend the money on a new one.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '04 WG came w/ the Kuyr. one on it. I like the way it looks. Since I didn't have to spend extra for it, I'll leave it on there. I may take it off for a day, and see if it makes a difference.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Hitman1318
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am quite interested in fixing a fork brace to improve the ride quality. I've seen fork braces selling in ebay at rather cheap prices, compared to the very expensive ones from Superbrace. Is there any big difference between the brands of fork brace? Still deciding whether i should spend $200 to get a Superbrace or a $100 one off ebay.....

Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I am thinking about one for my WG... I had a couple 'issues' last winter with my bike, got a flat in the front and later lost 25 spokes in the 1500 mile old back wheel! I figure it will be a while before my between my ears 'sensors' go back to normal LOL I think it may be my imagination, but the bike just seems a little squirrely all the time now..... Gonna be interesting when I get back on it in November after riding the RK all summer

Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

ggadwa: looking at your bike and reading your post; 11" progressives on a loaded 2-up bike; even a Dyna, are not going to handle good...are they 412's? 440's? You need some suspension travel and some rebound control to contend with corner wallow; I doubt if your 49mm front end is flexing enough to feel...
I've got stock shocks on my FXDXT; they're over 13" long and have rebound control. Ride and handling are excellent fully loaded solo. I used to ride two-up but she bought her own...2-up required plenty of pre-load and more rebound dampening.

Attached Thumbnails Fork Brace Thoughts-sturgis-69ers-jim-258-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those topics, like true-track, that is endlessly debated. The braces certainly don't hurt and may or may not help. If you got the cash and like the looks , go ahead and get one. You may just feel better that the bike is more secure whether it truly is or is not.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

If my bike starts dancing around, I check the tire pressure then shocks then the steering neck bearing. I have an 08 DWG and my wife has an 09 FXDL and both bikes were in bad need of a steering bearing adjustment before the 1000 mile check. I doubt most dealers actually do this adjustment during the service because it takes time and you need to put the bike on a jack (not a lift).

I've seen so much BS from dealers that I don't trust any of them. I watched a mechanic only flush the reservoir of a brake system and call it a full flush. I called him on his BS and he said (it's a circulating system so the new fluid works its way down to the caliper). Sorry, I got off track

Quick Reply: Fork Brace Thoughts